The FPS Review Unboxes a Few Video Cards

David_Schroth

Administrator
Staff member
One of the things that we’re trying to do more consistently here at The FPS Review is to post more unboxing videos of the components that we review. Brent has a great setup in his underground bunker that will let him churn this out and we’ve been slipping them into our reviews, but he got busy over the past few days and churned out four videos to clear out his backlog. Of course, liking the videos and subscribing to the channel would be much appreciated.

Without further ado, let’s go through them real quick:

Here’s the MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER GAMING X that we reviewed in March. It earned our Silver Award and performed in between the Radeon RX 5500 XT and Radeon RX 5600 XT.

Next up is the...

Continue reading...

With all due respect, I've never understood why folks like to watch someone
open up a box. Especially GPUs when all there is, is the GPU and nothing else but foam protection and an anti-static bag (sometimes).
Motherboards, maybe to see what accessories there are.....but still, this stuff is covered in the review.

open up a box. Especially GPUs when all there is, is the GPU and nothing else but foam protection and an anti-static bag (sometimes).
Motherboards, maybe to see what accessories there are.....but still, this stuff is covered in the review.

i never understood it either, but it's oddly popular. I've been considering doing this with motherboards. I don't really have any camera equipment to speak of and I keep my house lit like a cave.

With all due respect, if you watch the videos you will see it isn't an "unboxing" video, in fact, the name of the videos are "Unboxed" i.e., they are already unboxed and instead, I give informative information about the video card in the video, while demonstrating it in a visual way so people can see what it looks like.

My videos are a visual and informational learning tool.

Watch the videos, and you'll see my format. It is NOT an unboxing video, at all.

The format is unique and has merit.

i never understood it either, but it's oddly popular. I've been considering doing this with motherboards. I don't really have any camera equipment to speak of and I keep my house lit like a cave.

For a couple hundo you can have a pretty professional setup. A used GoPro, cheap tripod, couple diffused spot lights and a lap mic. Done. Actually don't even need the lap mic, any $50 cardiod mic on a stand will work.

For a couple hundo you can have a pretty professional setup. A used GoPro, cheap tripod, couple diffused spot lights and a lap mic. Done. Actually don't even need the lap mic, any $50 cardiod mic on a stand will work.

Never thought about buying the stuff used. I'll look into it.

Haven't gone through them all yet, but I generally enjoy them. I liked the move to more texture versus the early tablecloth background of the original Strix unboxed.

Brent's got a pleasant voice and I wasn't feeling much anger towards it while watching the video. I imagine there's probably a good reason why we don't see his face throughout the video, but it would be nice to see the intro bit include him in it. It would give content viewers a familiarity with Brent and bring more clicks based on thumbnails of his mug. If it's a looks issue, I'm sure we could clean him up a bit (or even some sort of mask or bandanna on him to use as a gimmick).

Not sure about the 'Hello Fellow Gamers!' intro line. Dude's got a cool last name, so feels like there's a way to incorporate that name and make a more memorable intro line, ie: "Today's judgement comes for the XFX Thicc 2 Pro by *ME*, Brent Justice!" [insert squealing guitar riff]

I really do like the use of a pointer device to point out aspects of the GPU, much less distracting to see a pointer than a finger performing this task.

Can only improve third party equipment, cannot really change out components on first person NPC.....

Haven't gone through them all yet, but I generally enjoy them. I liked the move to more texture versus the early tablecloth background of the original Strix unboxed.

Brent's got a pleasant voice and I wasn't feeling much anger towards it while watching the video. I imagine there's probably a good reason why we don't see his face throughout the video, but it would be nice to see the intro bit include him in it. It would give content viewers a familiarity with Brent and bring more clicks based on thumbnails of his mug. If it's a looks issue, I'm sure we could clean him up a bit (or even some sort of mask or bandanna on him to use as a gimmick).

Not sure about the 'Hello Fellow Gamers!' intro line. Dude's got a cool last name, so feels like there's a way to incorporate that name and make a more memorable intro line, ie: "Today's judgement comes for the XFX Thicc 2 Pro by *ME*, Brent Justice!" [insert squealing guitar riff]

I really do like the use of a pointer device to point out aspects of the GPU, much less distracting to see a pointer than a finger performing this task.

People watch NileRed. His voice is annoying and he's not much to look at. It's all about how you present what you're presenting.

Though, some people have that "radio voice", and others do not.

Reviews, yes! Reviews I can read without watching a video, even better!

Unboxing? No. It's a video card. The only unboxing vids I even tolerate are for cases, so I can see it. Even then I usually mute the rando speaking.

You are correct.
The GPU is already out of the box......and we get a guided tour of the first page of a full review.

Dang Brent....I have always loved your written reviews but yikes...Dont take it the wrong way but it sounds a bit odd compared to the guy at Hardware Unboxed. Like i can tell your reading something for the video?

Does video drive a lot of views?

I know I’m in the “get off my lawn” minority and hate video reviews, but if it pulls in $$$ I’m all for you guys doing it (so long as I don’t have to watch)

Does video drive a lot of views?

I know I’m in the “get off my lawn” minority and hate video reviews, but if it pulls in $$$ I’m all for you guys doing it (so long as I don’t have to watch)

It's more like trying to see what sticks, but also building a subscriber base out in YouTube land as well. At this point, nothing has been bringing in the $$$, but our readership is going where it needs to go - just have to properly monetize it.

I like the videos. A supplement and a teaser to the written review. I like the 10 minute videos more then the 15 minute ones. I would keep them on point and not too long.

I also am liking the run through videos of how you are testing. It gives a nice visual way for someone to run the same course to compare performance.

And I would love to see some motherboard unboxed videos. Point out those good and bad part placements, extra features, unique design elements, etc.

I can't handle all of these items in person but having a video gives me a better sense of them vs a picture.
I have actually driven the 1 hour and 20 minutes to a Micro Center just so I could compare different radiator sizes with certain cases so I know if what I am planning will actually work.

I am looking forward to more videos.

Become a Patron!
Back