The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience Debuts with Virtual Versions of Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss, and a Massive Open-World City

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
the-matrix-awakens-virtual-keanu-and-carrie-1024x576.jpg
Image: Epic Games

Epic Games’ The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience is now available for Xbox Series X|S and PS5 consoles, and it’s an incredible love letter to the franchise that not only offers a high-tech take on key scenes from the original trilogy but also thoroughly demonstrates the potential of Unreal Engine 5.

Comprising three separate experiences, The Matrix Awakens allows Matrix fans to check out eerily realistic virtual recreations of franchise stars Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss, who portray Neo and Trinity, respectively. There’s also an exciting chase scene inspired by the iconic sequence from 2003’s The Matrix Reloaded and an open-world section comprising a massive city, both of which are playable to some extent...

Continue reading...

Batteries just waiting to happen. I'm surprised Duracell or Energizer haven't stuck a finger in this pot.

Unreal's Engine 5 is pretty nice, but do the consoles do it justice?

Batteries just waiting to happen. I'm surprised Duracell or Energizer haven't stuck a finger in this pot.

Unreal's Engine 5 is pretty nice, but do the consoles do it justice?
I think the consoles benefit most from it.

Moss is a little off .. and younger Keanu is too .. but facially, older (now) Keanu is spot on.
The upper bodies .. shoulders, arms .. are still very stiff like most computer animated humans .. other than that, very impressive

Matrix or GTA?

Nothing about this "experience game" screams Matrix from the vids online.

Current gen consoles have 16GB VRAM to handle the textures in that demo. My lowly 3080 has only 10GB.

Current gen consoles have 16GB VRAM to handle the textures in that demo. My lowly 3080 has only 10GB.
They have 16GB of System RAM @ GDDR6 speed - that has to be shared between the CPU and GPU

So - yeah, I suppose it's possible you could have more than 10G available for textures, but you won't be able to get all 16 - the system will have to use some.

Become a Patron!
Back