The Xbox Series X May Look Like a PC Tower, But It's One That You Can Lay Flat

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
In an interview with GameSpot, Xbox boss Phil Spencer answered one of the Xbox Series X's biggest mysteries: do you have to tolerate a PC-tower-ish thing living in your entertainment system, or can you change its position so that it better resembles a traditional console? Spencer was happy to share that gamers can indeed lay the Series X flat: the system's orientation wasn't something that the Xbox team wanted to dictate. It was designed to "fade into the background."

"The first thing I wanted to say is the [Xbox Series X's] design works vertical or horizontal, just like the Xbox One S and Xbox One X," he said. "We think that it's not our job to dictate the orientation of our console in your home. That is up to you."

Yeah cuz I was wondering how the **** people were gonna throw this thing in their entertainment centers. Makes sense that Microsoft thought about having this thing lay flat too.

I don't think I've ever run a console in vertical orientation, aside from my X360 briefly back in the days before I even had an HDTV. There was no room in my old entertainment center for the thing to lie horizontally, so I found a place to stick it where it could be vertical. That didn't last too long though. Got a new entertainment center about a year later, and I had ample room to lay it flat. Standing systems vertically kinda makes me nervous, unless there is no way it can fall to either side due to walls or other **** blocking it from falling. I'm a clumsy person and accidents happen. Wouldn't want to knock over a system, especially not systems with internal HDDs, or when discs are loaded in the optical drives.

Still think original fat PS2 is the best-looking system in vertical orientation.

I have a seldom used PS3 that I use in vertical orientation. At least MS gives you the option on the new Xbox. As Drezkill mentioned there would be a lot of people upset about how it would fit in there entertainment centers.

I see laying it flat may still prove to be too tall for certain entertainment centers. I am really surprise Microsoft didn't just increase the volume of the Xbox One case from 4.3 liters to 7.9 liters to accommodate the better cooling solution while keeping a slimmer profile for entertainment system. The SFF case maker seems to have to that figure it out with the Sentry or Sliger - Console cases.

Become a Patron!
Back