THQ Nordic Deactivates Biomutant’s Native 4K Support on PlayStation 5 for “Technical Reasons”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
biomutant-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: THQ Nordic

The PlayStation 5 version of THQ Nordic’s new furry action role-playing game, Biomutant, was originally supposed to launch with a native 4K option. Unfortunately, that option has now been scrapped due to “technical reasons”—PS5 players will only be able to run the game at native 1080p upscaled to 4K/60 FPS with dynamic resolution. The Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S versions of Biomutant will run at 1440p/30 FPS.

Due to technical reasons, we deactivated native 4k on PS5 for the release version of the game.Biomutant is currently running at native 1080p upscaled to 4k on PS5.— THQ Nordic (@THQNordic) May 20, 2021

This is the latest example of a last-gen multiplatform game receiving better next-gen optimisation on Xbox Series X than on PS5, possibly due to...

Continue reading...

Two thoughts --

They haven't said they are giving up, so I'm not necessarily willing to just write it off as "PS5 is bad hardware". We have no way of knowing how the devs allocated their resources. If they come out and just say it can't be done, or it's permanent.. then yeah, that certainly raises some eyebrows. But the specs between the PS5 and XB1XAQF are not that different.

Second, it's not like most people can buy a PS5 anyway, so meh. They probably have plenty of time to fix it...

To me 1080 or 1440 doesn't matter, it still sucks, that consoles are holding us back.

Two thoughts --

They haven't said they are giving up, so I'm not necessarily willing to just write it off as "PS5 is bad hardware". We have no way of knowing how the devs allocated their resources. If they come out and just say it can't be done, or it's permanent.. then yeah, that certainly raises some eyebrows. But the specs between the PS5 and XB1XAQF are not that different.

Second, it's not like most people can buy a PS5 anyway, so meh. They probably have plenty of time to fix it...
The GPU in the PS5 has 16 fewer compute units than the one in the Series X, or 31% fewer. That is pretty significant.

The GPU in the PS5 has 16 fewer compute units than the one in the Series X, or 31% fewer. That is pretty significant.
Yeah but the PS5 is clocked a good deal higher so the speed difference isn’t nearly that big. Is the XB faster? Yes. But not that much faster: 12 Tf vs 10.3.

I dunno, I think I'd rather take that 1080p @ 60fps upscaled to 4k than 1440p @ 30fps. Hopefully both versions will get a 60fps mode.

Become a Patron!
Back