Triple monitor games

LeRoy_Blanchard

Skillz
Staff member
Lookin for suggestions on games that support triple displays. (3x 4k)

Got my third monitor today, but sadly I can't use it until Monday because the included DP cable wasn't long enough to reach the PC. No one around me sells DP 2.0 cables, so I had to order one.

So come Monday I want to try out some games that take advantage of triple screen displays. What ya got?

What are the resolutions of your display's and are they matched refresh rates?

4k, up to 144Hz

All three monitors are identical.

While I realize a single 4k display is hard on a on a GPU for even a single GPU and that 3x of these displays are going to be extremely hard on a single GPU I can easily drop them down to 1080P if performance is an issue to make the game playable.

The system is currently a 5950x w/ 3090. Soon to be a 7950x w/ 4090.

I think if you're extend your desktop for whatever the full resolution would be that would work if you pick that resolution.

You're also going to want to make custom FOV settings or things will get messed up in many games.

Last edited:
I think if you're extend your desktop for whatever the full resolution would be that would work if you pick that resolution.

I'm not asking how to do it.

I'm asking what games I should try in a triple display setup.

I did a lot of multi-monitor gaming during the hey day of Eyefinity and NV Surround. Give up this idea now. Very few games supported it at the time, fewer games did it well and even fewer support it today.

I did a lot of multi-monitor gaming during the hey day of Eyefinity and NV Surround. Give up this idea now. Very few games supported it at the time, fewer games did it well and even fewer support it today.
So the plethora of UW monitors hasn't swayed the market?

Your best bet are racing sim games or Flight sim games. Both are known to embrace multiple monitors as an industry. And I know the MS Flight sim does for sure.

So the plethora of UW monitors hasn't swayed the market?

Your best bet are racing sim games or Flight sim games. Both are known to embrace multiple monitors as an industry. And I know the MS Flight sim does for sure.
There is a huge difference between ultrawide monitors and the resolutions those come in and spanning multiple displays. Even if you can get it to work, most games are not designed for resolutions like that. You will have HUD scaling issues and in most cases, you will not have the necessary FOV adjustment to make it look good or look right. You will have problems with fisheye. What you will see on the side displays will essentially be heavily distorted and of limited value.

Right but from a genera it's all about the racing and flight sim games. If you focus on those areas you will find more true triple and even more monitor support so you won't have the same limitations as Dan is correctly calling out by trying to shoehorn in other gaming titles.

the later Quake titles you could properly get to work on multi display but you had to dive deep to get the settings right (or find someone who already did.)

Right but from a genera it's all about the racing and flight sim games. If you focus on those areas you will find more true triple and even more monitor support so you won't have the same limitations as Dan is correctly calling out by trying to shoehorn in other gaming titles.

the later Quake titles you could properly get to work on multi display but you had to dive deep to get the settings right (or find someone who already did.)
There is a period of time from around 2012 to 2015 or so that multimonitor support was more common with non-racing and flight simulator type titles. Even by 2015 I was sick of it and went to a single large format display rather than continue to be frustrated and disappointed with the gaming experience.

My cable arrived today. Sadly, I should have measured it. I thought 6ft would be enough, but it's still about 1 ft too short. So I ordered a 10ft cable. That sucker better be long enough this time.

My cable arrived today. Sadly, I should have measured it. I thought 6ft would be enough, but it's still about 1 ft too short. So I ordered a 10ft cable. That sucker better be long enough this time.
That's going to be rough on signal integrity - something to keep in mind if it's fussy (I'll cross my fingers hoping that it'll work just fine!)

There is a period of time from around 2012 to 2015 or so that multimonitor support was more common with non-racing and flight simulator type titles. Even by 2015 I was sick of it and went to a single large format display rather than continue to be frustrated and disappointed with the gaming experience.
I never even got that far; I'd picked up some smaller monitors that when rotated to portrait matched the vertical resolution of my main monitor (30", 2560x1600), but drivers and software never really supported that well.

Now I'd just suggest folks buy a wider monitor if that's what they think they need. For most of the stuff I do that goes wider, FPS and wargames are perhaps the most demanding, and I'm quite happy with 21:10. It's just enough peripheral vision to maintain situational awareness.

For someone that's in to sim'ing that's not going head over heals into VR, the 32:9 displays would likely be all they'd ever need.

All my opinion, of course, and I do wish @LeRoy_Blanchard good luck!

That's going to be rough on signal integrity - something to keep in mind if it's fussy (I'll cross my fingers hoping that it'll work just fine!)

I never even got that far; I'd picked up some smaller monitors that when rotated to portrait matched the vertical resolution of my main monitor (30", 2560x1600), but drivers and software never really supported that well.

Now I'd just suggest folks buy a wider monitor if that's what they think they need. For most of the stuff I do that goes wider, FPS and wargames are perhaps the most demanding, and I'm quite happy with 21:10. It's just enough peripheral vision to maintain situational awareness.

For someone that's in to sim'ing that's not going head over heals into VR, the 32:9 displays would likely be all they'd ever need.

All my opinion, of course, and I do wish @LeRoy_Blanchard good luck!
I've had 3x Dell 3007WFP-HC's and 3x ASUS ROG Swift 27" 144Hz G-Sync displays. The former doesn't do portrait without tracking down monitor stands that could handle the weight of those things which wasn't exactly common at the time. The Swifts would do both portrait and landscape but being TFT panels they weren't very good at either.

Software wise, some AAA games did it OK, but the vast majority of times it was a huge pain in the *** to get things working right. Many games couldn't be made to work well enough with a surround setup to be worth the trouble. More and more I simply just ran the single monitor.

Were there any games you played where you were glad you got to experience it on triple displays?
It had a novelty early on and you did get a bit of an advantage in online multiplayer titles. However, there are very few games where I would say the experience really stood out. Dead Space was one of them. I recall it lacking the fisheye problems that plagued all the shooters. I also played the Aliens Vs. Predator game that was all the rage for about 20 minutes when the Radeon HD 5900 XT. I remember that game working well with it also.

Really, Eyefinity and NV Surround were something I got used to. I switched from those to a 48" 4K Samsung TV so to be frank, I didn't miss it when I stopped using it. I had a more immersive experience and far less trouble with games on a technical level.

Even though the intent, as I read this thread, is the desire to play a game stretched across multiple monitors at the same time, I personally love using multiple monitors while playing but not as intended here. I usually play the game on one large monitor in the middle, then use the two side monitors for additional information such as a web browser or spreadsheet for tracking info. I would be hard pressed to ever give up a multi-monitor setup for gaming. I suppose I could play on an UW with the game in a window and then have other windows open, but then you lose options such as gamma adjustments in windowed games. So multi-monitors + games are great, just not having the gaming environment stretched across all of them.

Become a Patron!
Back