TSMC Investing $100 Billion into Expansion and R&D

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
tsmc-fab-outside-1024x576.jpg
Image: TSMC

TSMC has announced that it will invest $100 billion over the next three years for expanding its manufacturing capacity and R&D. It is already planning to spend $28 billion in 2021, along with building more factories and hiring more employees. This is all happening at a time when the global chip shortage continues to affect virtually every technological sector. It is also happening as the company faces many challenges ranging from an ongoing drought to increased competition from Intel and Samsung. TSMC and its suppliers all saw their share prices rise after the news.

TSMC expects to invest US$100b over the next three years to increase capacity to support the manufacturing and R&D of advanced semiconductor technologies, TSMC is working closely...

Continue reading...

This is smart. They hold the crown right now in production and don't compete with anything they are making in market. That gives them an edge. Do you REALLY want to outsource your CPU production or GPU production to Intel or Samsung... REALLY? When they make competing products. Probably not. TSMC is a safer bet because they don't make any stand alone product that competes they just make chips for everyone that can pay them enough. That makes them safer feeling for your Intellectual property.

Even if Samsung was 10% cheaper to produce product on as a business stakeholder I would be hard pressed to have them fab my chips when they produce chips that do what I do for their own products. No thank you.

Not that they WOULD steal the designs... but they can definitely LEARN from them. Unless I had a business reason where I HAD to go through them I simply wouldn't.

So with TSMC expanding (hopefully in the US) it's good for everyone. Well other than Samsung and Intel.

Become a Patron!
Back