Twitter Threatens to Sue Meta After Rival “Threads” App Attracts 30 Million Sign-Ups on Launch

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Has Threads already become a serious threat to Twitter? It's starting to look like it, as the blue bird platform, now led by chairman Elon Musk and CEO Linda Yaccarino, has threatened legal action against Meta and the Instagram team's newly launched rival, claiming that the app was developed with "Twitter’s trade secrets and other intellectual property.” If Twitter's legal team is to be believed, Meta intentionally hired Twitter employees to exploit their knowledge for Threads, although Meta has already shot back and called the accusations baseless, stating that the team doesn't actually include any former Twitter employees. The drama comes less than a day after Zuckerberg announced on Threads that the platform had attracted 30 million sign-ups in its first few hours online.

See full article...

I bet they'll soon start labeling twitter as an alt-right platform on mainstream media.

[/URL]

And harassment online has **** all to do with free speech. This isn't 4chan.

And if your definition of free speech includes hate speech, you are also probably a fan of the alt-right.
I didn't know that but I'm glad they removed that clause as it is incompatible with free speech. Free speech is not possible when you are compelled to use specific language. It also prevents the expression of certain opinions.

Hate speech does not equal "speech I don't like" it means speech that is specifically aimed to incite hate and or violence regardless of the target. Putting up special clauses for certain groups makes them privileged, not equal. This is why I'm also against banning the term cisgender as well. Although they are not enforcing it it seems, which makes it another drop in the bucket of Elon says stupid things without consequences.

Free speech is well and good. But private companies have a right to restrict what's on their platform.

Free speech is well and good. But private companies have a right to restrict what's on their platform.
Surely if they are allowed to restrict something they are also allowed to remove that restriction later.

The Apple and Google store ToS requires them to moderate.
Requiring moderation is to avoid illegal content, although instagram seems to have a very bad track record on that one, yet they were never threatened to be removed unless they clean house. This moderation thing seems extremely one sided, anything goes except what a certain group of ideologs don't like.

Requiring moderation is to avoid illegal content, although instagram seems to have a very bad track record on that one, yet they were never threatened to be removed unless they clean house. This moderation thing seems extremely one sided, anything goes except what a certain group of ideologs don't like.
I suppose those moderators have to make opinion based decisions on what content to allow or not allow on the platform they are paid to moderate. You'd need to examine their guidelines in moderation to understand what isn't or is permissible.

I suppose those moderators have to make opinion based decisions on what content to allow or not allow on the platform they are paid to moderate. You'd need to examine their guidelines in moderation to understand what isn't or is permissible.
Well that's the crux of the problem, most social media sites have rules that are so vague it is impossible to tell what is acceptable and what isn't. And even if they suspend you for something they don't tell you the exact violation. It's Kafkaesque:

- You are suspended for violating the terms and services
- OK, but what did I violate so I can make sure not to do it again?
- We don't have to tell you that.

Apparently can't get rid of threads without getting rid of ig or some such ( not that I care)

Apparently can't get rid of threads without getting rid of ig or some such ( not that I care)
I figured that was how they were getting so many users so fast - auto signups based on pre-existing accounts or something

Become a Patron!
Back