Ubisoft Removes Might & Magic X: Legacy from Steam after DRM Makes It Unplayable

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
might-magic-x-legacy-key-visual-1024x576.jpg
Image: Ubisoft

Ubisoft has been forced to halt sales of Might & Magic X: Legacy on the Steam store after players discovered that the latest installment of the long-running RPG series no longer works. This is all thanks to the game’s DRM, which requires an online connection for authentication—unfortunately, that process no longer works because Ubisoft recently decided to terminate the online services of Might & Magic X: Legacy alongside seven other titles. Ubisoft had explained that the solo features of these games would remain available, but Might & Magic X: Legacy players can no longer get past Act 1 in its single-player mode. Paid DLC can’t be accessed, either.

One review reads: “Really classy move; making a single player game unplayable by closing its servers (never mind the fact that making a single-player game dependent on servers is unacceptable) instead...

Continue reading...

This acts as a reminder as to why I try to not buy Ubisoft games off of Steam. I still remember when one day, after a client update, AC IV became unplayable until I had to go create an account there, and even then when they changed something it would break the link requiring me to do it again. Eventually, I gave up on trying to finish the game.

Meanwhile, I've got M&M X on Steam and really liked it and was looking forward to going back to it someday. I played it through at release and enjoyed how it kept that nostalgic feel from the first games. Ubisoft has a lot of good games in the works these days but stuff like this will keep me from giving them more of my money.

Become a Patron!
Back