UniFi Mesh AC units

Space_Ranger

Semi-regular
Hello folks,

I'm currently using UniFi Outdoor AP's for our Public WiFi solution at work (Approx 100+ acres of land to be covered). Has anyone had much luck with UniFi's Mesh units, and how well does their Mesh solution work? Currently all our AP's are hard-wired to the public network (Completely seperated from the Private Network).

Thanks,

- Space

How many of the mesh units would be hardwired?
I have two and so far the performance is 'ok'. Need to do further testing, so the final verdict is out.

I'd have at least 50% of the units hard-wired, with the inner perimeter begin wired. I'd try to keep the # of mesh hops to just 1.

If you manually configure the 'child' to connect to its 'parent' then think it could be OK. The issue gets to be when you allow 'auto mesh' they might not connect how you want. Within UI of Unifi controller you can manually set uplink.

If you have extra Unifi units, the newer firmwares on the non Gen1 AC units will allow some form of 'mesh' functionality

All my old equipment was non-AC units (mostly Outdoor+'s). They're EOL'ed and I'm replacing them all with either the standard AC Mesh (and a smattering of Mesh Pro's).

I've deployed about 10 of the Mesh units replacing older Outdoor+ units. So far they are nice! Now to get 40+ more and be done with it..

Looking forward to more posts from owners. I have a single unit at home and the wifi is VERY reliable, not always the fastest, but insanely reliable.

Looking forward to more posts from owners. I have a single unit at home and the wifi is VERY reliable, not always the fastest, but insanely reliable.
Yeah. UniFi's aren't speed-demons by any stretch of the imagination. They are though, decent quality Enterprise-grade devices at a relatively low price. I've got 2 of the AC Lites at home and they are great! I've got a VM running the controller for the 2 units, and they run like a champ.

Become a Patron!
Back