Update or move your podcasts!

Brian_B

FPS Enthusiast
Just a friendly note -

Landed on the front page (I admit often I just jump to the forums) and noticed that your podcasts are prominently displayed along the top right there. Which is fine. Except they haven't been updated in months - there are two from October 2020, and it kinda makes the front page look like the site is abandoned.

Granted the other reviews and articles are showing more recent dates, but I don't know that you really want stuff pinned to the front page that isn't seeing regular updates - or at least not in such a prominent position.

So I'd recommend either firing your podcasts back up - even if all you can really talk about is how bad the current state of DIY computers are in - or just move that off the front page or down towards the bottom of the front page until you have more recent content and replace it with something more timely.

Honestly, I enjoyed doing them but in my opinion, the formatting needs tweaking.

Something that I think would be a decent addition:

I'd start off saying I love the review format you have. It's thorough, it's easy to move through, it has all the right information, and the format is tailored to whatever type of hardware your reviewing.

I remember Kyle playing with it a bit over at H - and maybe some of you guys did too - but a short video tl;dr for each review.. I wouldn't go through all the charts and graphs, but hit the highs, the lows, give your overall impression, and maybe a few shots of the packaging and product in action. It would help expand your Youtube presence - I wouldn't go out there and try to be LTT or HWUB or anything, or move your otherwise excellent review format to video only -- I'd just use it to help augment the reviews and add a bit of extra dimension to them.

One of those for each review - those pinned to the front page... that would keep stuff current. Keep it fairly short and I don't know that you'd need to invest too heavily into production quality - decent lighting, modern phone quality camera, and good backdrop I would think would probably be adequate, at least to test the waters. Honestly, if you basically just read the first and last page of the review, and showed off the product a bit - that's about all I'm really thinking - get some easy to produce media quantity out there to help supplement your very quality reviews.

Full disclosure:
I say this as a person who despises 99.96% of all Youtube content. And I may be old - maybe Youtube is old and busted and all the kids are on Tiktok or something else now, I have no idea.

Last edited:
I love this suggestion. I too gloss over the 30 minute reviews of products like those produced by GN. I like watching their weekly HW news roundups, and I just speed through their reviews. Shorter reviews touching everything @Brian_B suggests is the sweetspot as I see it.

I've poofed it into just continuing down the list of reviews for that space for now. I've got a near-er term to do list to make review content easier to sort/find than just the categories (i.e. new category pages) and I think that space will be a good "gateway" to that content discovery in the future (so yes, I know it's not exactly aligned as is).

One of those for each review - those pinned to the front page... that would keep stuff current. Keep it fairly short and I don't know that you'd need to invest too heavily into production quality - decent lighting, modern phone quality camera, and good backdrop I would think would probably be adequate, at least to test the waters. Honestly, if you basically just read the first and last page of the review, and showed off the product a bit - that's about all I'm really thinking - get some easy to produce media quantity out there to help supplement your very quality reviews.

That's actually what you may see happen soon...

Full disclosure:
I say this as a person who despises 99.96% of all Youtube content. And I may be old - maybe Youtube is old and busted and all the kids are on Tiktok or something else now, I have no idea.

I'm with you on this...

Become a Patron!
Back