Upgrade Deal Alert: AMD AM4 Processors at All Time Lows

I'd go with the 5800X3D if I couldn't afford a better AM5 bundle (and the AM4 system was already decent in terms of board, memory, and cooler). You're getting bottom barrel everything there, from the board to the half-rank DDR5, all of which is going to hold back what little that 7600X can give.

The big attraction across all of these options is in what's going to give the most consistent performance (measured in 1.0% and 0.1% lows), balanced across whatever else the user needs out of the system in terms of memory capacity, storage attachment points, connectivity, and so on.

Even the cheapest boards rarely hold you back these days. They may look less fancy, and offer fewer features, but top level performance is typically pretty much the same.

I do agree with the single channel RAM issue, but if you add a second stick (for another $54.99) you are still tying the price of a 5800x3D but now have dual channel RAM

Though it is also worth mentioning this bundle:

- 7700x
- Gigabyte B650 Gaming X
- 2x 16GB DDR5-6000 Gskill FlarweX RAM

All for $349, which ties you with the current going rate for a 5800X3D, with about 10% better performance, and gives you more drop in upgrade options going forward.

Again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with cheaper motherboards. They will go toe to toe with the overpriced disco-light units where it really counts, unless you get into serious overclocking.

The kiddo's system has been running on a $129 (when new in 2016) MSI B350 Tomahawk for years now. Great little platform, and benches right where it should given the CPU (5800X3d) and memory (decent timing DDR4-3600) it has installed

It started with a 1600x in it, then got a 3800xt, and now - since December - a 5800X3D and is on its third GPU (2013 6GB Titan -> 2060 Super -> 4070 Super) The PCIe may only be Gen3, but that doesn't seem to be holding it back at all in gaming or benchmark performance (other than maybe slightly reduced NVMe performance, with is almost not measurable in gaming use)

But people with way more pull in the industry have done videos and testing on these things and come to the same conclusion. Unless you want to impress your friends, or there is a specific feature you need on the higher end expensive motherboards, most of the time there is zero reason to buy one.

If the kid needed an upgrade right now, that 7700x bundle above is looking mighty fine. I'd probably jump on it.

There is very little reason to go with the high end motherboards for most people.

(I know, I say this typing from a crazy expensive Asus ROG Xenith II Extreme Alpha based system, but normally I would never have bought this motherboard, I was painted into a corner where my cheaper Gigabyte Aorus Master was cooking Threadrippers at stock settings, and I needed th ssystem up and running fast, and the only TRX40 motherboard Microcenter had in stock was an open box Zenith II...)

Last edited:
Indeed, which is why my post included this:

:p
Yeah while it was noted above, it was overlooked in your conclusion - and leaving me to think there were no informed choices that could be made in my life without a Microcenter being nearby

(Not far from the truth sometimes)

Yeah while it was noted above, it was overlooked in your conclusion - and leaving me to think there were no informed choices that could be made in my life without a Microcenter being nearby

(Not far from the truth sometimes)

Ah, well that was not the intent.

Choosing one over the other implies that you have the choice to begin with, which many do not!

Become a Patron!
Back