US Pricing for 12th Gen Intel Core “Alder Lake-S” Processors Leaked by Retailer, Core i9-12900K Flagship to Cost Around $600

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
intel-11th-gen-core-i5-i7-i9-processor-boxes-1024x576.jpg
Image: Intel

Provantage has published numerous listings for Intel’s upcoming 12th Gen Core “Alder Lake-S” processors, giving enthusiasts a very good idea of what the CPUs might be priced at when they debut at US retailers.

According to Provantage’s listings, the i9-12900K will carry an MSRP in the neighborhood of $600. This is a flagship processor that’s rumored to feature 8 “performance” (P) and 8 “efficient” (E) cores for a total core/thread count of 16/24, as well as a P-core and E-core single-core boost of 5.3 GHz and 3.9 GHz, respectively.

Comparatively, AMD’s Zen 3 flagship, the Ryzen 9 5950X, carries an MSRP of $799. That processor features 16 cores, 32 threads, and a boost/base frequency of up to 4.9/3.4 GHz.

The implication here is that Intel’s Alder Lake-S processors will be priced very competitively, which is great news in the event...

Continue reading...

Yep and you can just drop those in your motherboard you've been running since the 10 series CPU's were introduced and be operating with the new speed and efficiency... wait.... you can't? Oh... so you just need a new motherboard and... ok.. So just a new motherboard, ram and CPU... what... REally? So IF you're running an Intel spec motherboard you will need a new CPU, Motherboard, Ram, and Power supply at a MINIMUM?

But what if you have a 3000 series AMD CPU and you want the new AMD CPU... pretty much anything from the 3 year old 4 series or up chipsets can run the new 5000 series CPU? But you need to replace your... you don't? But what about the ra... no? REally? But you CAN if you want to right... ok. Just not DDR5. That's fair.

I'm not knocking Intel here, just the two companies embraced different challenges.

And I'm betting money that MS will have issues at first with these big/little cores and spreading the load correctly for a while. How long did it take them to get Chiplet loading right?

Yep and you can just drop those in your motherboard you've been running since the 10 series CPU's were introduced and be operating with the new speed and efficiency... wait.... you can't? Oh... so you just need a new motherboard and... ok.. So just a new motherboard, ram and CPU... what... REally? So IF you're running an Intel spec motherboard you will need a new CPU, Motherboard, Ram, and Power supply at a MINIMUM?

But what if you have a 3000 series AMD CPU and you want the new AMD CPU... pretty much anything from the 3 year old 4 series or up chipsets can run the new 5000 series CPU? But you need to replace your... you don't? But what about the ra... no? REally? But you CAN if you want to right... ok. Just not DDR5. That's fair.

I'm not knocking Intel here, just the two companies embraced different challenges.

And I'm betting money that MS will have issues at first with these big/little cores and spreading the load correctly for a while. How long did it take them to get Chiplet loading right?
Isn't AMD doing just the opposite with the proposed 6000 series of CPUs? I thought they were changing the socket for that chip.

I also thought Alder Lake was going to be DDR5, and possibly PCI 5 as well

All good reasons to get a new motherboard - but the newness of both of those will drive the price up considerably. At least until the market settles.

I'm waiting for the "it's cheaper than the AMD 16 core"... until you realize it's LITTLEbig and it's really only an 8 core performance part, with 8 smaller 'just average stuff' cores. But - proof is in the pudding, maybe it will bench just as well, or nearly as well -- that's what really matters moreso than what is printed on the box.

I also thought Alder Lake was going to be DDR5, and possibly PCI 5 as well

All good reasons to get a new motherboard - but the newness of both of those will drive the price up considerably. At least until the market settles.

I'm waiting for the "it's cheaper than the AMD 16 core"... until you realize it's LITTLEbig and it's really only an 8 core performance part, with 8 smaller 'just average stuff' cores. But - proof is in the pudding, maybe it will bench just as well, or nearly as well -- that's what really matters moreso than what is printed on the box.

I'll be curious as to how it handles heavily multithreaded applications. Will the OS know that you want to shuffle all of your background stuff to the 'little' cores and have everything you've got big cores on your foreground application?

Would that make those the tip of the head...

Ok I'm not going to make a foreskin joke.

Damnit!

I'll be curious as to how it handles heavily multithreaded applications. Will the OS know that you want to shuffle all of your background stuff to the 'little' cores and have everything you've got big cores on your foreground application?

Would that make those the tip of the head...

Ok I'm not going to make a foreskin joke.

Damnit!
I've heard Win11 will have an aware scheduler. OS X does and it's done a pretty good job with their bigLITTLE M1 - but that isn't the same thing as a high performance CPU in a desktop.

Windows is one thing, but the game developers need to get on board with real multicore coding. It's pretty sad really that a lot of games are largely single threaded in 2021

Become a Patron!
Back