Valve’s Source 2 Engine Could Be Getting Ray Tracing Support

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
artifact-screenshot-card-collection-1024x576.jpg
Image: Valve

Could Valve be joining the ray tracing revolution? That may be the case, as the last beta for the company’s digital collectible card game, Artifact, has received updates alluding to RTX support for the Source 2 engine. This is the engine that has powered Valve titles since 2013’s Dota 2, as well as the company’s most recent release, Half-Life: Alyx.

Source 2 is possibly getting RTX/Raytracing support.Last Artifact Beta got "Raytracing Shader" and "RTX" strings added.https://t.co/UEuBP6PEue pic.twitter.com/k6Ks1Q8DWJ— Pavel Djundik (@thexpaw) January 14, 2021

While the...

Continue reading...

I thought source was all but dead
In terms of new customers, absolutely, but it still powers some of the most popular and profitable games played today.

Separately, Valve is in a unique position to push ray tracing forward; their games are now pretty low-rent, but could absolutely benefit from a tasteful application of RT (and HDR), to the point that I'd be interested in a remaster of their catalog that included implementations of both.

And since Valve is heavily involved in Linux gaming, they'd be primed to push RT there too!

Team Fortress with ray tracing? That should rock on my 1080 ti.

Since valve has done a new half life to act as the demo for their new tech I could see a new half life for pc gaming coming. I hope...

Become a Patron!
Back