Valve Announces Steam Deck, a $399 All-in-One Portable PC Gaming Device with AMD Zen 2 CPU and RDNA 2 GPU

Yar, Gabe confirmed that all versions of the Deck will have m.2 modules. Pretty decent (even if the process itself is difficult) and it's too bad IGN didn't have the correct information in their preview video (it was said the internal storage was not replaceable).

Still, got myself signed up for a 256 GB model; Had multiple errors getting the order to place so was about an hour and a half after it went live, so who knows when in 2022 I'll be able to purchase the Deck.

Yar, Gabe confirmed that all versions of the Deck will have m.2 modules. Pretty decent (even if the process itself is difficult) and it's too bad IGN didn't have the correct information in their preview video (it was said the internal storage was not replaceable).
It's more that they're not designed to be user serviceable, despite having M.2 NVMe slots, I gather.

I expect iFixit will have a video on the topic right quick :sneaky:

These are quad-core parts and apparently support LPDDR5 while still being Zen 2 - looks like a distinct product run and if they're not otherwise available at retail, availability might not be terrible. Could be something that AMD and Valve have been stockpiling for a while too.

Somehow I doubt they have been stockpiling them RDNA 2 is not that old.

Anyways, anything with AMD in it is hard to get to unobtanium, this won't help matters if you ask me, but hey whatever ;keeps demand up there is at least good for the makers and scalpers.

Somehow I doubt they have been stockpiling them RDNA 2 is not that old.
I'd considered this when the release info hit, but I believe that RDNA 2 as an architecture is pretty old. Consumer GPUs with RDNA 2 onboard are of course newer.
Anyways, anything with AMD in it is hard to get to unobtanium, this won't help matters if you ask me, but hey whatever ;keeps demand up there is at least good for the makers and scalpers.
Supply and demand are pretty out of whack these days - hard to really comment. I think that these might be a little more available, but a big part of that is going to be just how limited in use they are relative to their cost.

Become a Patron!
Back