Valve Index Selling Out in Multiple Regions Thanks to “Half-Life: Alyx”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Critics believe that Half-Life: Alyx exists merely to sell VR headsets, but whether that's true or not, things are certainly working in Valve's favor. While the $999 VR Kit is still available, the standard Valve Index Headset + Controllers package ($749.00) and Valve Index Headset package ($499.00) are now out of stock on the US store. Other regions (e.g., Cananda) appear to be experiencing similar shortages.

While Valve has confirmed that Half-Life: Alyx will be compatible with all PC VR headsets via Steam, the game is expected to play best on Index thanks in part to the advanced finger-tracking capabilities of the Index controllers. Valve also announced that it would be giving Half-Life: Alyx away to any owners of Index hardware (headset or controllers).

Are people so starved for Half-Life that they will purchase this expensive hardware based on a ****ing trailer?! Not even reviews of the final product? People are so quick to part with their money before they've had hands-on. I'm quite the opposite, I don't buy games until I've put some good time into them, and in some cases I don't even make a purchase until after I've beaten the game.

Are people so starved for Half-Life that they will purchase this expensive hardware based on a ****ing trailer?! Not even reviews of the final product? People are so quick to part with their money before they've had hands-on. I'm quite the opposite, I don't buy games until I've put some good time into them, and in some cases I don't even make a purchase until after I've beaten the game.
How do you play a whole game without buying it?
(Other than "free" microtransaction laden stuff I mean)
Anyway... I would buy the hardware... If I could money wise at this moment. If others are anything like me, its just that you been sitting on the fence since Oculus , and this would be just the catalyst that makes you say screw it, Im getting VR.
It wouldn't be wise for me to sink money in this stuff right now, my money is too tied up elsewhere... But if it was just a little less , i would jump , and this would be the catalyst.

Piracy I'm guessing.
If others are anything like me, its just that you been sitting on the fence since Oculus , and this would be just the catalyst that makes you say screw it, Im getting VR.
That is pretty much me. It's always seemed like a cool toy, but no killer-app (for me) which has pulled me in to sink my cash into it. That is until now...maybe. I never pre-order anything (I've never understood why anyone would!) and will definitely make up my own mind after the reviews for HL:A come in.

A smart move by Valve really. I guess for their sake hopefully there are still great numbers of people like me who still remember and care about Half Life.

Use a friend's copy (Steam library sharing is your friend). Or you can go the "aarrr matey" route if that's your sort of thing, for the purposes of trying out the game. I do firmly believe in supporting developers with money if you like their product, but I also believe in making absolutely sure you like the product before you make a purchase. Me, I've lived my whole life borrowing video games and game consoles from friends, although it's been getting harder and harder to borrow games over the years with friends often choosing to go digital. 9th-gen is gonna be a problem for me because the people I usually borrow consoles from are no longer accessible. I also used to just go to friends' houses and just play their stuff there, but again that's getting harder and harder to do as friends get married, have kids, etc. I do recognize that if you have none of these options, the only way you get to try games is to purchase them yourself, unfortunately.

If others are anything like me, its just that you been sitting on the fence since Oculus , and this would be just the catalyst that makes you say screw it, Im getting VR
Yeah I been hearing a lot of talk about how HL Alyx could potentially be the "killer app" that finally sells gamers on VR.

Become a Patron!
Back