Valve Is Reportedly Trying to Get Xbox Game Pass on Steam

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
xbox-game-pass.jpg
Image: Microsoft

EA Access may not be the only third-party game subscription service that Steam users will be able to enjoy in the coming future. According to Valve News Network’s Tyler McVicker (a leaker who’s commonly credited with exposing parts of Half-Life: Alyx before it was officially announced), Valve is in discussions with Microsoft about getting its popular game subscription service, Xbox Game Pass, on Steam. While McVicker did not have anything concrete to share and merely claimed that it was happening in a recent broadcast, this is not the first time that the rumored integration has popped up—an insider on gaming forum MetaCouncil alluded to something similar earlier this year in a list of purported Steam additions, which include now-confirmed titles such as Team NINJA’s Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection. The integration of Xbox Game Pass on Steam is anticipated for numerous reasons...

Continue reading...

This makes zero sense for MS.

Why pay Steam a ridiculous 30% for the privilege to be on its closed platform for an already popular platform that does not need Steam or any other storefront to gain more avenue?

If anything, it would be even wiser for MS to just purchase Steam and be done with it compared to sharing its wealth with Steam.

This makes zero sense for MS.

Why pay Steam a ridiculous 30% for the privilege to be on its closed platform for an already popular platform that does not need Steam or any other storefront to gain more avenue?

If anything, it would be even wiser for MS to just purchase Steam and be done with it compared to sharing its wealth with Steam.
It could make some sense...

Not many people use the Microsoft Store. That is my biggest issue with XGP - it uses that god awful installation method.

I'm sure that Origin doesn't give a flat 30% cut to Valve for using their store front for their game pass - after all, you pay for the pass and just download all the games you want, you aren't paying per game. They probably pay some static fee, maybe some per download fee, and it's probably way less than 30% cut off a retail price.

Now, MS is using XGP to prop that up. At least it's getting some traffic, and they hope it spills over into other areas. I don't think it will work, not at least without them fixing a lot of the problems with Microsoft Store, but hey, MS has pulled this trick before and had it work.

Steam, on the other hand, has a massive install base. When people think games, they default to Steam. And it has every (too many) feature you could really want in a game cataloging app. It would make XGP a more attractive option.

I can't see MS doing that - even if XGP is the only thing left on Microsoft Store they will use it as a crutch to keep traffic there. And they continue to develop around all the features that Steam has and push it into the Xbox branding on Windows. So it would be extraordinary if they did cut a deal like this.

But it would make me happy~

Nah, I totally disagree. Steam is finally feeling threatened now from the aggressive action from Epic and now, MS's GP could seriously hurt Steam's users base.

Why pay Steam's price when you can just pay an all-you-can-eat for much less on GP?

GP is not going to cater or bend for everybody but for those that likes it for what it is (obviously, 20M+ strong and rising fast) GP and EGS will make history.

MS has the same, but much better now that Bethesda titles are on board, partnership with devs/pubs as Valve and they are just running scared now that many more pubs/devs will opt-in for GP and/or the Epic route.

MS do not need Steam or its user base for GP. Steam's users will either come freely to GP, and many will due the extreme low price, or not but MS needs to do nothing now but wait on the pubs/devs crowding up to join GP, and Valve knows this.

Become a Patron!
Back