VESA Clarifies That DisplayHDR 2000 Doesn’t Exist, Contrary to Recent Monitor Listings

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
displayhdr-400-600-1000-logos-1024x576.jpg

Chinese retailer Taobao recently published the specifications for two upcoming monitors (the Samsung Odyssey G9 and Acer EI491CRG9) that suggested they’d been blessed with a new tier of DisplayHDR certification called DisplayHDR 2000. VESA, the organization behind the high-performance monitor and display compliance test specification, clarified today that DisplayHDR 2000 doesn’t actually exist—there is no such specification and logo program at this time. The highest legitimate DisplayHDR level is DisplayHDR 1400, which guarantees a peak luminance of 1400 cd/m2...

Continue reading...

Well, that's weird. HDR2000 seems like a logical progression. I've gotta admit though, that kind of brightness makes me wonder if I'd need sunglasses and skin protection lol!

Seems logical. Just curious that new Acer Ultrawide that is "HDR2000 Certified" isn't really all that certified after all.

VESA DisplayHDR 2000
Thanks to the Mini LED backlight the screen is also being marketed as featuring VESA DisplayHDR 2000 certification. This is not actually an officially announced certification level yet from VESA, although it’s reasonable to expect it to appear alongside this monitor and other possible future screens, with the only real difference from existing HDR 1000 and HDR 1400 levels being an increased peak brightness. The HDR 2000 label suggests, and the listed spec confirms, that the updated Odyssey G9 display will offer a peak brightness of 2000 cd/m2 which is impressive and should help produce bright highlights in HDR content. This is again the same as the Samsung Odyssey G9v2.

Become a Patron!
Back