Video Game TV Network G4 Teases 2021 Return

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
g4-logo-1024x576.jpg
Image: G4

Remember G4, the video-game-focused TV network that launched the careers of industry hotshots such as Geoff Keighley? Apparently, it could be making a surprise return next year! During today’s Comic-Con@Home show, IGN Live aired a G4 teaser video that ended with a tantalizing tagline, “We never stopped playing,” which seems to suggest that some kind of resurrection is afoot.

“The teaser included a number of references to the running jokes from the network’s shows, including the Golden Mullet Award, Sessler’s Soapbox and Rot Gut,” IGN wrote. “It ends on a game of Pong (the game played at both the beginning and end of the network’s lifespan), before being interrupted by the appearance of the G4 logo, the date 2021, and a tagline, ‘We never stopped playing.'”

We never stopped playing...

Continue reading...

It was good in the first few years of it's life, but then it went more mainstream entertainment and sucked.

I suspect, unless they take it back to it's roots that started it then it will again fail.

Things like Twitch have really made a Gaming TV network irrelevant these days.

It was good in the first few years of it's life, but then it went more mainstream entertainment and sucked.

I suspect, unless they take it back to it's roots that started it then it will again fail.

Things like Twitch have really made a Gaming TV network irrelevant these days.
Agreed. They had great documentaries and other series at its conception. The only thing I watched in the final years of its life was Attack of the Show!, and even then it was mostly background noise while I prepared dinner and/or worked on university projects. Tru TV would probably be the best (worst?) representation of how far G4 had fallen. Add to that the state of gaming journalism today and it's hard to get excited for the network making a return.

Aren't Leo Laporte and Kyle Bennett good friends? With [H] shuttered, perhaps Leo could reboot The Screen Savers with Ol' Bennett as his co-host.

G4 has a chance to be something truly new and unique. And don't think for a second they won't have their own video streaming portion and Hite some prominent streamers for scheduled shows and recorded content. That's going to happen. I also highly suspect they will be more a platform than a station. Like we need ANOTHER streaming platform.

Become a Patron!
Back