Viper Gaming Launches World’s First M.2 PCIe Gen 4×4 SSD with RGB

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Viper Gaming (Patriot Memory's gaming brand) has launched the VPR400, a new solid state drive that is being billed as the world's first RGB M.2 PCIe Gen 4x4 SSD.

Go to post

Because THAT is what was missing from my NVME drive... RGB.
Sure.

Though it's a somewhat silly thing - not because it's good or bad to have RGB on anything, but that NVMe drives are regularly hidden under heatsinks that come with motherboards and thus aren't at all visible. Worse, though we don't know how Patriot's Viper team is doing, what research I did for NVMe RGB modules found that ADATA NVMe drives with RGB showed issues with drive slowdowns when RGB was used on top of the software used to control it not being that great, i.e., even more below average than one would expect.

Between iffy software and potential performance issues, as well as a decent chance that he drives would be physically hidden, makes it a questionable value. That said, we can't know until @Brent_Justice gets a chance to run them through their paces.

This is all not to say that well-implemented RGB isn't appreciated, rather quite the opposite. Especially if it's easy to disable for those that would prefer not to have a lightshow in their computer. The problem is that good implementations are rare.

I'd be concerned about heat. I can't remember what company did it, but there used to be an RGB SATA based SSD and it got so hot it would throttle itself when the RGB was turned on.

Become a Patron!
Back