Water cooling gear

LeRoy_Blanchard

Skillz
Staff member
Where do you guys buy your water cooling setups? I've been considering going water, but trying to find what I need has me shopping at multiple different places. I'd prefer a one stop shop that has all I need.

Have you looked at Microcenter? They are fairly well stocked in-store and it looks like they ship a lot of it from their web store. I know you're a good 300+ miles from a couple locations, so you'd have to rely on everything being available for shipping (which it looks like it is).

No, I never thought to check microcenter since I don't have one close to me. I'll check it out when I get home later tonight.

I buy most of my stuff from Microcenter or the usual online retailers. Amazon, etc.

Well I plan to water cool a 4690k and a 1080 vanilla card. I've always wanted to build a water cooling setup so my thoughts are to build it now on my current rig. Then, when the time comes for my to upgrade to something new I'll already have everything I need except a new CPU and GPU water block.

With that being said, I see that XSPC sells a "CPU kit" where I can easily add a reservoir, GPU block and another radiator or two to the loop. Seem like a good plan or should I just piece everything separately?

Amazon, Performance PC's.

Aliexpress if you want Barrow fittings for cheap and don't mind waiting.

Well I plan to water cool a 4690k and a 1080 vanilla card. I've always wanted to build a water cooling setup so my thoughts are to build it now on my current rig. Then, when the time comes for my to upgrade to something new I'll already have everything I need except a new CPU and GPU water block.

With that being said, I see that XSPC sells a "CPU kit" where I can easily add a reservoir, GPU block and another radiator or two to the loop. Seem like a good plan or should I just piece everything separately?

You can always pretty easily add to the loop. Once the infrastructure is in place, adding to the loop is pretty easy.

Personally, I'd get the EKWB kit over the XSPC kit. Just personal preference. Complete CPU kit with EK Coolstream 360 rad, EK supremacy EVO block, fans, D5 pump/res combo, tubing and fittings is $400. The 240 kit of $370.

The XSPC kit is good stuff, but I believe the EK water block out performs the XSPC one if memory serves.

The XSPC kit is good stuff, but I believe the EK water block out performs the XSPC one if memory serves.

yeah, that EK Supremacy EVO is a fantastic waterblock. Been around for a while and it's still hard to beat for price and performance. It's what I run on my 3700X.

Never tried UV light, but you do want to watch sun exposure. Always seemed like the "darker" boxes stayed looking cleaner longer. Maybe go the silver coil route? I do the Swiftech additive to my boxes personally

Anyone ever used UV light to control growth?
I know my water softener sales guy tried to sell it to me for the house.

Seems like it wouldn't be necessary in a closed loop system though. Once everything in the loop is dead, unless you have a giant gaping vent port or something I don't see how it could really get recontaminated once you get it running.

I never really had an issue with any of mine, but the last few I've done I ran 50% glycol with and that has inhibitors in it. Even when I was running just straight water never had an issue with biologics, I presume since I always used bottled distilled on new components.

Become a Patron!
Back