WD Gold 18 TB Hard Drive Could Cost You $650

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
wd-gold-enterprise-class-sata-hdd-1024x576.jpg
Image: Western Digital

Gather around, data hoarders. Western Digital appears to be gearing its Gold-tiered 18 TB HDD for release in the states, as listings (via Tom’s Hardware) have begun popping up at select shops overseas. One UK-based retailer, SPAN, has the monstrous drive available for purchase at £520.00, which translates to about $650 ($0.036 per GB).

That’s not a bargain price by any means, but it seems to fall in line with some of the biggest drives that are available on the market today, such as Seagate’s 16 TB Exos X16 ($556, $0.035 per GB, according to...

Continue reading...

Are we trusting WD these days? I am not so sure I am.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/311854-western-digital-sued-to-permanently-block-smr-in-nas-hdds

Yikes!

A little rich for my blood.

I currently have 12x 10TB Seagate Enterprise drives running in my server, with 12 empty bays.

They are arranged in two ZFS RAIDz2 (RAID6) vdev's for 6 drives each.

The pool is at about 62% capacity now. As I fill it, I can remove some junk I don't need but at some point I'll need to expand. I'm thinking my easiest way to do so right now would just be to add 6 more drives, but which ones?

The interesting part is that in late 2017 when I bought the 10TB Seagates they were $348 a piece, now they are down to $255.

I guess I could just add more of the same size and type. 60 additional TB (40 usable) for ~$1500, but I wonder if that is the sweet spot, or of something larger is better.

Well, it's moot anyway. I probably have at least a year before I have to start considering it seriously.

Ya I saw some 16tb Seagate on sale at Newegg for like $375... started to think about replacing the 4x6tb in my server... then I looked at free space and I'm not even using half yet. So I guess no rush... the drives are out of warranty by now (5+ years) so might as well ride them into the sunset.

But honestly I could probably free up a ton just by deleting old backups and ancient crap. It's just easier to grow it if needed than audit/cleanup

Become a Patron!
Back