Webcam for Linux?

Dogsofjune

Semi-regular
Any suggestions?
Trying Skype with a laptop with built in cam and mic the last couple of weeks. Video quality is fine, but they can't hear on the other end. So I was thinking a Logitech C920S, it's got the mic camera combo. My pause on that is, I would like it to work in Linux.

I see mixed reviews on the Logitech in a Linux environment. Any leads on a webcam, with mic, that works fairly well in both OS's?
Just makes it easier to interact with the family while I'm out of town all week.

LazyGamer

Semi-regular
So, most work in Linux pretty much automatically. The Chinesium one I picked up a few years ago works great. Logitech would have to be doing something extra special to break that.

As for mics... that's more a product of the room you're in, but understand you're getting bottom-barrel on a webcam, even at the very best. Not going to overcome physics there, and that's a problem I'm still working on myself. Best bet? Get a decent wired headset.

Dogsofjune

Semi-regular
I considered going just a mic route but I'm not very well versed in what to look for.
The Laptop I am using only has one usb port, (Company furnished) which is populated to accommodate a wireless mouse. So I would be looking at a powered hub or a type C dock to get more USB's.
Which brings me to consider the 2400g, RX480 box with Pop OS.

How are Bluetooth mics? I have an older set of Jaybirds that I usually use for my Pixel 3.

I might experiment

Last edited:

LazyGamer

Semi-regular
Recommend experimenting. Most decent USB hubs will be fine as there's not a large power requirement. Might also look into investing in USB-A to USB-C adapters, usually short cables (i.e., dongles) that work pretty well.

I have fistfuls of them now that we're mid-transition...

Brian_B

FPS Junkie
For business calls, I've been using a Konftel Ego.

I don't do video on calls, but for Audio, that little gem has been very nice. It can connect either USB or BT. I use BT via phone, and USB via computer.

As for linux - dunno, haven't tried it there. I tend to not stray too far from the CLI in linux.

For Skype and the like - they are so compressed, you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference between a BT and wired mic of similar quality.

AntiQuark

Quasi-regular
I use the Logitech Brio with Zoom (on Windows).
It also works great on Linux from what I read.

I wanted a webcam with ok audio that can cope without much light and give least issues.
Its very good!

Dogsofjune

Semi-regular
At home for the family I have a logitech c920s hooked up to the Plex box and tv. Works great.

Work lappy has the fail. I may go with another c920s and install win 10 on the 2400g box.

If I have to work out of town I just want to see muh fams. Makes it a little easier

LazyGamer

Semi-regular
that can cope without much light
Man, that's fix #1 for video - even my crappy Chinesium webcam looked pretty good when I got the light going!

I get that it's not always possible, but for video and audio, lighting and soundstage (respectfully) are the biggest contributors to quality once the capture chain is up to a minimally decent level.

If you want to cheat, expect to spend into additional orders of magnitude and still fall a bit short ;)

Become a Patron!