Well my cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD UPS died.

Grimlakin

Forum Posting Supreme
Just suddenly in the middle of using my computer the non protected stuff I had a monitor plugged into started turning on and off, then the UPS started beeping. Said the power was good App tested said all was well... until it just **** the bed and everything powered off.

After a min I turned back on and tested and it then said it failed the self test. Didn't say bad battery or anything just failed.

I've had it since 2015 now I'm sitting her wondering... Do I get the bigger badder UPS that is good for a 1500W load and 1500va juice... OR... replace the batteries in this one and hope that works.

If you've been through this with a cyberpower UPS let me know! I'd love to know if it's just batteries I need.

BTW the LCD on the UPS showed 100% but as soon as there was a load.. boom dead. Didn't even act as a glorified power strip. Had to grab the power strip I replaced with a small UPS for my router and fiber NUC.

Get a new one

Attachments

• IMG_1858.jpeg
    IMG_1858.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 0
Yea I figured. Looking at one that can do 1500 watts out.

Have you replaced the batteries in it before, if so, when?

I've got a bunch of those units that are older than yours, most are on their 3rd or 4th set of batteries at this point. I've never been told by the unit the batteries were bad, but it's obvious when it can't keep going with a quick power blip or simply refuses to start...

Of note, that model is 1500VA but 1000W of power that it can deliver...

Two things:

Usually when a battery dies, the unit should fail gracefully - it should tell you the battery is bad and to replace it. If it's doing weird things - it may be ok when you put a new battery in it, but it's already doing weird things that it should not be doing. I wouldn't trust it with my multi-thousands of dollars worth of sensitive electronics any longer - but you can roll the dice if you want.

Of note, that model is 1500VA but 1000W of power that it can deliver...
VA is the real limitation. They just guess on how many watts it can deliver. This is due to not knowing what the Power Factor of the equipment would be plugged into it. At 1500VA / 1000W, they are saying you are ok all the way down to a PF of 0.67, which is pretty low but not unheard of for older switching power supplies. If, for instance, you were to plug in a space heater or something purely resistive, you could get a full 1500W out of it (a PF of 1.0). Amps and volts are the real limitation on power equipment.

Looks like a nice unit. Best of luck to you! That detachable front panel controller looks neat too.

Become a Patron!
Back