Which x299 board to buy...?

Lopoetve

n00b
Getting a 10980XE for various reasons (not costing me anything). Trying to pick a board to pair it with.

Option 1: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZYNWBY3/?tag=thefpsreview-20
X299 Designaire 10G

Option 2: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YD7GHJ6/?tag=thefpsreview-20
Asus x299 STRIX II

Option 3: something else?

Total mixed use system. Dual boot windows and Linux. Will do some NVMEOF work so built in 10G is a plus, will probably also feed quadro or FirePro card for some 3D modeling and possibly 3D printing eventually. Not sure. Free proc, free ram, so... yay?

I'm kinda jelly... Getting that for free is awesome!

If you've got the use for 10G, I'd go with Option 1 myself. $100 for onboard 10G network is a + instead of adding a Intel card..

I'm kinda jelly... Getting that for free is awesome!

If you've got the use for 10G, I'd go with Option 1 myself. $100 for onboard 10G network is a + instead of adding a Intel card..
Friends in high places. I’m trying to use the same connections to get the FPS folk a new Threadripper when they announce them.

You reviewed an earlier version didn’t you?

Nope. I had the X399 Designare EX, which I did review. But I've reviewed many, many GIGABYTE boards over the years. They've not disappointed as of late. Also, the ASUS X299 Prime Edition 30 was fantastic as is the X299 Prime Deluxe II. ASUS' Rampage series is always a crowd pleaser and for good reason. The X299 MEG Creation from MSI was one of the best ones we tested at HardOCP.

Nope. I had the X399 Designare EX, which I did review. But I've reviewed many, many GIGABYTE boards over the years. They've not disappointed as of late. Also, the ASUS X299 Prime Edition 30 was fantastic as is the X299 Prime Deluxe II. ASUS' Rampage series is always a crowd pleaser and for good reason. The X299 MEG Creation from MSI was one of the best ones we tested at HardOCP.
Sadly the creation and rampage are apparently out of production. I did read the edition 30 review- the slot layout is... suboptimal, given that it only comes with <10g networking. Hmm..: I thought it had been the 299 deisgnaire, rather than the 399. Interesting.

Sadly the creation and rampage are apparently out of production. I did read the edition 30 review- the slot layout is... suboptimal, given that it only comes with <10g networking. Hmm..: I thought it had been the 299 deisgnaire, rather than the 399. Interesting.

I don't see how the slot layout would be suboptimal. Even if you used a triple slot video card you could still use the other two x16 slots.

Less layout more count. Eventually this will replace the x99 system, which has a minimum of 4 cards: gpu, 10g, and two SAS cards.

Just want to say - this project has been a complete and utter disaster.

Also: Do not buy x299 Designare. Gigabyte might do a good job on their other Designare boards, but this one is NOT good. M2 screws that don't fit (or don't fit with the included heatsinkws), latest BIOS doesn't recognize NVMe drives (although they work fine ?!?), slots are buggy as ****, constant crashes... Ugh. Should have just bought an Asus board. I don't know what the **** they did with this thing, but it's as bad as the worst Gigabyte boards I've ever had.

Has anyone used:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZK7JTLL/?tag=thefpsreview-20
(Rampage VI Extreme)?

So far, that's the only x299 board I can find that has a 10G port built in that isn't the Gigabyte. I recognize that I'm going to have to give up either a SAS card or dual 10G links with this, but... ****, it's all I can find, and I don't feel like buying another Gigabyte and having fits (RMA is going NOWHERE on this board it seems).

Just want to say - this project has been a complete and utter disaster.

Also: Do not buy x299 Designare. Gigabyte might do a good job on their other Designare boards, but this one is NOT good. M2 screws that don't fit (or don't fit with the included heatsinkws), latest BIOS doesn't recognize NVMe drives (although they work fine ?!?), slots are buggy as ****, constant crashes... Ugh. Should have just bought an Asus board. I don't know what the **** they did with this thing, but it's as bad as the worst Gigabyte boards I've ever had.

Has anyone used:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZK7JTLL/?tag=thefpsreview-20
(Rampage VI Extreme)?

So far, that's the only x299 board I can find that has a 10G port built in that isn't the Gigabyte. I recognize that I'm going to have to give up either a SAS card or dual 10G links with this, but... ****, it's all I can find, and I don't feel like buying another Gigabyte and having fits (RMA is going NOWHERE on this board it seems).
[/QUOT

-------
Have used board you listed above -- however had better luck with this board, its great workstation board:

WS X299 SAGE/10G|Motherboards|ASUS USA

and this board (though will need use add-in board(s):

ROG Strix X299-E Gaming II | ROG Strix | Gaming Motherboards|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG USA (asus.com)

Become a Patron!
Back