Windows 11 Is Now the Most Popular OS among Steam Users, According to Valve’s Latest Hardware & Software Survey

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Windows 11, a new version of the Windows NT operating system that Microsoft launched in October 2021 to usher in several new features, including a redesigned Start menu, is now the most popular OS among Steam users, according to a new Hardware & Software Survey that shows how Windows 11 now has over 50% market share on Valve's platform.

See full article...

My only real complaint with it, as I've mentioned in many other threads, is what a pia it is to get to advanced settings via the settings app/interface, whatever they want to call it.

Other than that, after having used it for almost a year on my laptop, it hasn't annoyed me as much as I thought it would. Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving it praise, just saying that it works and that's the bare minimum of what I expect. The Windows HDR thing is a joke and mostly useless and I still prefer a game's actual implementation. Don't have AI hardware so can't comment on that. Not thrilled with the taskbar changes but oh well.

No way I'm switching to it on my gaming PC. Not until they've ironed out all the issues.

How in the F*CK did that happen?! Honestly very surprised it managed to overtake Win10.
My guess is FOMO. Gamers are a fickle bunch, most'd sell their mothers for 1 fps. And they have been promising better gaming on W11 since day one. Not that there was much merit to that. Some games ran slightly better on 10, some on 11, but mostly within the realm of measurement error that only your confirmation bias would make you notice.

Supposedly the next big update will change that, but I'll believe it when I see that it matters in 4K gaming.

My guess is FOMO. Gamers are a fickle bunch, most'd sell their mothers for 1 fps. And they have been promising better gaming on W11 since day one. Not that there was much merit to that. Some games ran slightly better on 10, some on 11, but mostly within the realm of measurement error that only your confirmation bias would make you notice.

Supposedly the next big update will change that, but I'll believe it when I see that it matters in 4K gaming.
I'd agree with this. All it takes is someone saying something like "DirectStorage is Win11 Exclusive" and people jump ship (gratuitous link in homage)

Let's ignore the facts - that it does work on Win10, and that it doesn't do jack crap for your gaming experience... but FOMO works.

Become a Patron!
Back