Windows 11 Less Popular than Windows XP: Survey

may've briefly tried 95 but that was right around the time I dropped out of the scene for a bit
I was a senior in high school. That was an awesome time to be into PCs. Win95, OS/2 Warp (The Warp Tour!), Mac had just went to PPC and Attack of the Clones (System 7 and Personal Supercomputer)! Linux was new to the scene, and I can remember setting up kernal compiles that would take all night long.

It matters not, thats like if ford had 98℅ of all of the vehicle market ,and all of it was different year f150s. A dream to many I am sure though. The no competition is the issue.

Nobody can afford to compete thst we would trust. If Apple made an x86 version of their os and opened it up to a lot more hardware they could compete.

But Amazon could try but I don't see thst they would be trusted at all.

I think part of it is that the first dot com bubble significantly lessened the dominance of the operating system, as a lot of “work” shifted to the browser.

That’s how we got the browser wars, after all. For a lot of thing the OS just became a means to run a browser. You even have OSes that are pretty much built around the browser (ChromeOS, even SteamOS to an extent).

So yeah, the monopoly sucks, but it was hit pretty hard not by Competition from other OSes, but by a technology / ideology shift to the browser.

I have to admit even I see the effects of it - probably 90% of my time is spent in either Chrome, Steam, or email. The number of times I interact with Windows directly itself is … when I install it, when I look at updates, and when something goes horribly wrong. I haven’t really even used the Start menu since … I guess since 8 ruined it.

I think part of it is that the first dot com bubble significantly lessened the dominance of the operating system, as a lot of “work” shifted to the browser.

That’s how we got the browser wars, after all. For a lot of thing the OS just became a means to run a browser. You even have OSes that are pretty much built around the browser (ChromeOS, even SteamOS to an extent).

So yeah, the monopoly sucks, but it was hit pretty hard not by Competition from other OSes, but by a technology / ideology shift to the browser.

I have to admit even I see the effects of it - probably 90% of my time is spent in either Chrome, Steam, or email. The number of times I interact with Windows directly itself is … when I install it, when I look at updates, and when something goes horribly wrong. I haven’t really even used the Start menu since … I guess since 8 ruined it.

I think that is true for simple, content consumption and social media stuff.

If you get into content creation, professional work, games, etc. you are still going to spend most of your time in software installed on the local machine, not in a browser.

Lol! I just got a notification from Windows saying that my system is now eligible for the 11 upgrade. All it took was replacing the 3700X with the 5800X3D. Obviously not going to do it but that gave me a chuckle.

Lol! I just got a notification from Windows saying that my system is now eligible for the 11 upgrade. All it took was replacing the 3700X with the 5800X3D. Obviously not going to do it but that gave me a chuckle.
That's weird it let me upgrade my 3900x. I went with a fresh build with my 5900x though.

My guess would be a BIOS upgrade probably enabled fTPM by default.
Pretty sure you're spot on. I did one right before the CPU upgrade. A new BIOS was released just for the 5800X3D so that makes sense. I even remember seeing a TPM setting in the BIOS while I was in there checking things out after the update.

I will say if your motherboard supports it let the chipset do the fTPM work. It keeps AMD CPU's from having the security check interrupts and smooths operation even on the newest CPU's.

Become a Patron!
Back