Windows 11 Requirements Cause Surge in TPM Sales, Scalping

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
msi-tpm-2.0.module-1024x576.jpg
Image: MSI

Windows 11 requires a Trusted Platform Module (TPM), a security feature that is quickly coming into the spotlight for many consumers. Prices have gone up by as much as ten times, as some modules that sold for around $15 have been seen on eBay for around $100. Numerous outlets have been tracking the trend; some prices are less dramatic but still rising. It is adding to the list of costs for those needing to upgrade components to install the upcoming OS.

amazon-asus-tpm-sales-chart.jpg
Image: CamelCamelCamel
amazon-supermicro-aom-tpm-sales-chart-1024x685.jpg
Image: CamelCamelCamel
amazon-msi-tpm-sales-chart.jpg
Image...

Continue reading...

This tpm crap reads more like a Chinese style spy chip than anything else. But you know, for " security".

I'm gonna laugh if and when Microsoft doesn't actually require these to run Windows 11.

Every CPU on the "Supported" list has it built in anyway. And many CPUs that are a good deal older.

All you have to do to fix the TPM missing/disabled problem in regards to Windows 11 capability, all you have to do is enable it in the BIOS. It is usually disabled in the BIOS by default. BTW, on DIY systems TPM 1.2 and up is supported, it is only OEMs that TPM 2.0 is required. But yeah, just go into the BIOS, enable Secure Boot and Windows 11 should show compatibility, and work.

All you have to do to fix the TPM missing/disabled problem in regards to Windows 11 capability, all you have to do is enable it in the BIOS. It is usually disabled in the BIOS by default. BTW, on DIY systems TPM 1.2 and up is supported, it is only OEMs that TPM 2.0 is required. But yeah, just go into the BIOS, enable Secure Boot and Windows 11 should show compatibility, and work.

It's crazy how everyone is embracing this TPM requirement just because Microsoft says so.

No way I'm ever turning that bullshit on. It can only ever be used against me to limit my choice.

Welcome to always on hardware DRM, and the inability to install the OS of your choice on your new device...

Lock ins, lock outs, you name it.

I'm telling you, TPM is universally bad for anyone who cares about computing.

Become a Patron!
Back