Windows 11 Won’t Let You Move the Taskbar

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
windows-11-chat-integration-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Windows 11 users have discovered that Microsoft has deprecated the ability to move the taskbar to an area other than the bottom of the screen and are hoping that the tech giant will reverse this strange and surprising decision. As confirmed on Windows 11’s official specifications page, Microsoft’s upcoming operating system introduces some significant changes to traditional Taskbar functionality, such as forcing its alignment to the bottom of the screen. Other changes include the removal of the “People” feature, some icons no longer appearing in the System Tray for upgraded devices and previous customizations, and apps no longer being able to customize areas of the Taskbar. It isn’t clear why Microsoft will no longer allow Windows users to set their Taskbar at the left, right, or top of their screens...

Continue reading...

I doubt it will be as I prefer it without 3rd party hacks / applications. I don't pin apps to the taskbar, because I use classic taskbar where every program appears as many times on the taskbar as many instances I have open. No way I'm compromising on that.

Oh and of course small icons option. If these enermous half the screen icons are the only option well then that's another nail in the coffin of 11.

I have quite a number of friends who move the TaskBar around, or keep it somewhere that is not the bottom of the screen. So this will definitely piss them off.

Why?! Who wants that crap right smack in the middle of the screen? I know people move it around anymore.. but my eyes have been going to the bottom left for 30 years. That and it looks too much like a Mac OS imo lol..

I don't think the loss of the "people" feature is a big deal. I can't remember ever using it, and I don't recall ever even seeing it before Windows 10.

I certainly won't miss it.

For everything else, I'm just assuming I am going to hate it, and some sort of classic shell type of program will be a necessity.

If I wanted a Mac, I would buy a Mac. I hate the Mac user interface.

I don't think the loss of the "people" feature is a big deal. I can't remember ever using it, and I don't recall ever even seeing it before Windows 10.
I believe it was v1709 when they first added that "My People" icon to the taskbar, and for the next several versions of Win10, that sh1t was there by default on fresh installs. I had to make disabling it part of my usual Win10 setup+config process. I seem to recall that updating to new versions of Win10 would put it back on there if you had it disabled previously. I think maybe version v1903 or v1909 is when they finally stopped putting it on the taskbar by default. I don't exactly remember. But that sh1t was annoying for a good while.

I believe it was v1709 when they first added that "My People" icon to the taskbar, and for the next several versions of Win10, that sh1t was there by default on fresh installs. I had to make disabling it part of my usual Win10 setup+config process. I seem to recall that updating to new versions of Win10 would put it back on there if you had it disabled previously. I think maybe version v1903 or v1909 is when they finally stopped putting it on the taskbar by default. I don't exactly remember. But that sh1t was annoying for a good while.

Agreed.

Become a Patron!
Back