Windows 95 is 25 Years Old Today!!!

stinger608

Sort-of-Regular
Yeppers, today, August 24th 2020 marks the 25th anniversary of the release of Windows 95.

Wow, just doesn't seem that long ago. I remember having just purchased an amazing Packard Bell system that had a Pentium chip running 8 megs of ram......8 megs not 8 gigs. LOL

Was rocking some of the new games out and could run Quake 2 without any issues :ROFLMAO:

Happen to catch an article on The Verge that reminded me of this big milestone.

Here's a video of the Microsoft Windows 95 launch.

This was the start of the Windows Start Menu and look how far it has came since the launch of Windows 95, 25 years ago today!!!!!

Couldn't have been a better song for the launch in the day. :p

Brian_B

FPS Regular
I remember installing this off something like 13 3.5"

Then someone had the CD, and it had freakin' music videos on it. Buddy Holly and ... something else ... and that was just the hippest thing ever.

It was glorious. The only thing I really didn't like about W95 was that hideous 90's green color (#008080) that was the default.

I have fond memories of the Registry corrupting (nearly) every time you missed doing a safe shutdown.

Armenius

Semi-regular
My dad had just bought a new PC the year prior that came with a CD drive, so we had the CD version. I remember having nothing but problems with 95 in the first year. He wanted to stick with 3.11, but he needed 95 for work. All the games we had still needed to boot into DOS to run. I actually can't remember the first game we had that ran natively in Windows. I want to say it was one of the NASCAR Racing games.

AntiQuark

Quasi-regular
This is the oldest 25 years has ever felt, windows 95 is a distant memory!

temmy23

n00b
Too old for me. Never used it. The first version I used was Windows 98.

Space_Ranger

Quasi-regular
Oh my... First windows system I installed was Windows 3.1. My how times have changed! Hell... I was a DOS kid, and was lucky enough to get involved with NOVELL Netware back when it was relevant.

When I was in college, we had a DEC PDP 11/44 with a punch card reader. THOSE were the days!

And yes... I did walk to school up hill through 12 feet of snow.. BOTH WAYS!!! And we liked it.. We were HAPPY!

Become a Patron!