Windows 95 is 25 Years Old Today!!!

The worst part about 95 was if you sneezed the Registry got corrupt and it needed a full reinstall.

And yeah, the drivers, but this was coming off of config.sys and hi/lo memory, so it didn’t really fall very far as there was already a low bar there. Just a lot of older hardware didn’t make the jump forward.

I think XP is only remembered fondly because Vista came after it. And due to the length of it's lifespan. I don't remember it being all that exciting when it came out. I was pretty reluctant to move from 98 to XP, as I didn't want to loose DOS games support, that was a given with 98.

I was the same way. I didn't even go to XP until I was at a LAN party and a pal of mine talked me into it. LOL

I think XP is only remembered fondly because Vista came after it. And due to the length of it's lifespan. I don't remember it being all that exciting when it came out. I was pretty reluctant to move from 98 to XP, as I didn't want to loose DOS games support, that was a given with 98.
For me, the transition from Windows 2000 to XP was relatively painful. I remember driver issues galore in the beginning that smoothed out relatively quickly though. Because of it's length, it's revered as a great OS. The entire transition to 64-bit though was hell for XP, and Vista helped push that pain along. Windows 7 wouldn't have been as polished as it was for 64-bit if it wasn't for XP and Vista.

For me, the transition from Windows 2000 to XP was relatively painful. I remember driver issues galore in the beginning that smoothed out relatively quickly though. Because of it's length, it's revered as a great OS. The entire transition to 64-bit though was hell for XP, and Vista helped push that pain along. Windows 7 wouldn't have been as polished as it was for 64-bit if it wasn't for XP and Vista.
I skipped xp64, 64-bit era only started with 7 for me. I never had more than 4GB ram until 2010, so didn't have much use for it anyway.

I got Vista when it came out and installed the 64-bit version, so that is where it started for me. I didn't have any issue with the OS, myself, aside from the damned Creative drivers for my sound card. Was also pretty peeved at Microsoft for killing hardware 3D audio. I had also just built a brand new PC when I got Vista, so I'm sure that helped with my experience.

I did like OS/2 a lot. BeOS was even more fun.

Neither really caught on, for various reasons.

I do recall installing the beta versions of 95 from like 20 x 1.44 floppys.

edit - oh and here is an all Win 95 app you can run in a window. Takes up a whopping 200mb of ram.

Oh man, the first time I ran win 95 it was on a CD luckily. Couldn't imagine needing to install with floppies. :p

I remember spending a lot of time with DOS, Win3.1, Win98SE, and after, but Win95? My family didn't stick with it for very long. I barely remember having it and using it. Like others have said, that OS was a real ****ing pain in the *** to use. We had the CD version, if I recall correctly.

I didn't even go to XP until I was at a LAN party and a pal of mine talked me into it.
I was on Win2K when XP came out. I really dragged my feet going to XP. Eventually a friend sat me down, used the same system running both Win2K and WinXP and showed me how much better the gaming performance was on WinXP, and that finally got me to switch. That was well after SP1, maybe even after SP2. Later on I moved to WinXP 64-bit, and that was its own adventure... WinVista helped bring the Windows family to proper 64-bit. WinXP x64, that was something else.

Was also pretty peeved at Microsoft for killing hardware 3D audio.
THIS.

Become a Patron!
Back