Windows Notepad Gets Spellcheck and Autocorrect 40 Years After Launch

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Notepad, the simple text editor for Windows that Microsoft introduced in 1983 to support the release of some of its then-new products, including the original Microsoft Mouse for DOS systems, has finally added spellcheck and autocorrect 40 years after its launch, according to Windows 11 users who say that the app has officially been updated by Microsoft with these overdue, but welcome, features in recent days.

See full article...

The headline should read microsoft finally makes notepad irrelevant 40 years after launch. It's only purpose was that it is lightweight and simple.

Features welcome by whom? Nobody writes essays in notepad, you edit ini files and scripts with it, spellcheck and autocorrect are perfect for that /s. Microsoft being completely out of touch yet again.

I don't know, or remember when, but when the first basic free version of Word was included in Windows, along with the release of Notepad ++, had pretty much made Notepad dead and buried for me. Before that though I did use it on occasion for simple tasks.

Become a Patron!
Back