Wolfenstein: Youngblood Performance Review

Great review, shows us how well gaming tech has developed.
But... those user game reviews, wow, I've never seen a major release hit so low!

Nice review, bought from steam, it would not run after spending over an hour going through all their troubleshooting and just decided to get a refund and be done with it. The reviews are more negative than positive overall. That was last week, maybe the new driver 19.7.5 corrected it, I don't know.

The performance difference using adaptive shading seems small - was there any quality difference from off to Performance? If so where? Maybe not the best game for this type of optimization.

As a note, AMD sharpening filter can be used as a performance enhancement for going to 4K using a lower resolution rendering. At same resolution using sharpening I still think is overdone and do not find the filter useful, at least yet.

Thanks for the review. You're review aligns with some others identifying the strengths of their engine and it's getting quite a bit of praise. It seems to be a fairly intuitive engine based on your numerous recommendations for 'adaptive' settings. Since I tend to lean more to eye candy I may pick this one up but I'll likely wait until a sale.

id Tech 6 been kicking *** ever since Doom 2016, and even before Vulkan support was released for that game. I can't wait to see how id Tech 7 fares with Doom Eternal. Thanks for the great review Brent. Man I love Vulkan.

The performance difference using adaptive shading seems small - was there any quality difference from off to Performance? If so where? Maybe not the best game for this type of optimization.

A free 4% gain from off to balanced with no degradation in IQ seems pretty good to me.

Become a Patron!
Back