Would You Buy a PlayStation 5 for $699?

If I ever pay $700 for a video game console there is something wrong with my brain and I need quality professional help. Above $300 a console manufacturer got me looking at them like they done lost their **** minds. I usually wait years, sometimes until the end of a generation, before I grab a current-gen console. I'm no stranger to getting consoles after their generation has passed. I keep and use my consoles for life though, so I don't mind getting them "late." I wait until the prices have come waaay down compared to launch day prices, and newer revisions have improved reliability (and in the case of 8th-gen, performance). I only buy a console if there are at least 5 must-have exclusives on it (an extreme rarity in modern times), or I can get it cheap, and it helps if I can get more utility out of them too by modding (which factors into what I'm willing to pay for a console). I won't turn down consoles given as gifts though (which ironically is how I unexpectedly ended up in the 8th generation).

PC is my main gaming platform, I do most of my gaming there because it's the platform that provides the best gaming experience (even when you factor in ****ty console ports and lack of good optimization), has the most options, and offers the most control. I usually prefer to get multiplatform games on PC. However my whole entire life I've been a dweller and explorer of all three corners of the video game universe (arcade, PC, home/handheld consoles), so I won't turn consoles away. I just take my sweet **** time getting around to 'em. Any money I have that is not used for survival, bills, and my car goes to my PC first, then gaming/electronic equipment, then finally to consoles. They are way at the bottom. I make sure everything else is covered first. Maybe somewhere near the end of the upcoming 9th generation of consoles, there'll be a PS5 and/or XBSX in my home. Maybe. If that somehow happens, you can be **** sure I did not pay anywhere near their launch-day prices for them, whatever those prices turn out to be.

Yar, Drezkill has the right idea - wish I could say I follow his strategy too, but usually my willpower gives out as soon as the first exclusive comes out that I want.

My PC is usually my main - almost always the best version of the game and KB+M control. I'll usually keep a console connected to my monitor, though, they're handy for exclusives and when the PC is down for maintenance (read: sold my GPU before receiving my new one).

One thing that I hope for in the next generation of consoles is more 'cross save' compatibility between PC and console. I'm really jealous that the Switch version of the Witcher 3 can save between the PC version while the Xbox version can't. With 'cross play' seemingly popular, I'm hoping 'cross save' will also become popular enough to become a standard feature.

The price is somewhat justified, in my opinion. The standards have shifted. Now people expect near PC level performance from consoles at about 1/3 the price. You're not building a 4K60 capable PC for $700. Not $1400. At $2100 you're pretty dang close.

So when you say you'll stick with your PC, that's cool. Just know you're paying considerably more. You're going to pay $700-800 for a RTX 2080 Super alone. Granted I don't know what the performance of these new console will be. From the vids we've seen I'd say we can expect 2080 Super levels of graphical performance.

One thing that I hope for in the next generation of consoles is more 'cross save' compatibility between PC and console. I'm really jealous that the Switch version of the Witcher 3 can save between the PC version while the Xbox version can't. With 'cross play' seemingly popular, I'm hoping 'cross save' will also become popular enough to become a standard feature.
I too really hope this becomes standard. Yeah Witcher 3 has cross-saves between PC and Switch, and I think Divinity: Original Sin 2 does as well. Some Microsoft XPA (Xbox Play Anywhere) games have cross-save support between XB1 and Win10 Store versions. Sometimes I like to double-dip and grab a copy of a game I have on PC on other platforms like Switch, and it'd be really dang nice if I could move my saves over, instead of having to start from scratch (although sometimes this gives me a chance to completely play through a game again, like I did for every character in Sonic Mania). If I could move my Bayonetta 2 saves over from Wii U to Switch, that would be extremely useful to me (or my Bayonetta 1 saves from X360 to the PC version). At least with X360 games on XB1 I can use save files that were stored on the XBL cloud. I thought it was interesting that the Steam version of Halo MCC saw all my progress from when I played the XB1 version on a friend's XB1 back in 2015, and it even looked at the Xbox Achievements I had earned and gave me the same achievements (not that I care about achievement ****, but still that was nice of them). There were a decent amount of games I played on console before I knew they were coming to PC, like Horizon Zero Dawn, and I really wish I could just move my saves over to the PC version. Ah well.

If a decent video card for the next generation is 1500 dollars... then yea I might go console at last.

Become a Patron!
Back