Xbox Series S Is a Next-Gen Console, Stresses Microsoft in New Marketing Campaign

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Microsoft is striking back at Xbox Series S critics who claim that the system isn't a next-gen console with a new marketing campaign that claims otherwise.

Go to post

Yea because marketing is always completey accurate when they use non specific terms like next generation and great or awesome.

It's most definitely a last generation console, that happens to be able to play current generation games.

That sounds like an oxymoron, but I guess it all depends on if you value 4K and/or 60+fps, or not.

It's most definitely a last generation console, that happens to be able to play current generation games.

That sounds like an oxymoron, but I guess it all depends on if you value 4K and/or 60+fps, or not.
I think it's a decent offering for people on a budget, who don't need 4k or as a (secondary) console for the kids. The SSD imo alone is enough to call it next-gen compared to the old molasses slow 5.400 rpm laptop HDD's in the previous gen.

I think it's a decent offering for people on a budget, who don't need 4k or as a (secondary) console for the kids. The SSD imo alone is enough to call it next-gen compared to the old molasses slow 5.400 rpm laptop HDD's in the previous gen.
I think I agree with this take. It's less the nuts and bolts inside, and more what it can do. And if it can play the latest games at 1080p well enough, well, that's worthy of the title.

You want to get into 'generational' semantics, go argue with the r/hivemind about 5th-gen fighter aircraft :D

I think I agree with this take. It's less the nuts and bolts inside, and more what it can do. And if it can play the latest games at 1080p well enough, well, that's worthy of the title.
Well, the only thing keeping the Xbox1X (not series, the Pro from last gen) from doing that is... because Microsoft says so. It technically has a good bit more performance than the XB1SS. It may not do Raytracing, but you aren't exactly doing much of that on an S either.

*edit*

Oh yeah, the SSD that can only hold 2 games at a time. I almost forgot about that. And all the great games it was supposed to enable that we couldn't play without them. That I haven't seen yet.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back