Xbox Series X Digital Edition Is Reportedly in Development

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Microsoft is currently looking into developing a new version of the Xbox Series X that won't feature a Blu-ray disk drive, according to XboxEra's Nick "Shepshal_Nick" Baker. Baker, who shared the rumor during the August 5th episode of The Xbox Era Podcast, claims that he has heard this from multiple sources, and while he doesn't have any concrete details at the moment, the Xbox Series X Digital Edition—assuming it's actually called that—isn't the only new hardware that Microsoft is working on. It sounds like a lot of this hardware is planned for release in 2025.

See full article...

Dumb f*cking idea Microsoft. Don't do it. XBSS already doesn't have an optical drive.

Sooo development?.... As in, don't install the drive and ship the unit out? I don't know if 'development' is the right word.

In any case, do these disks mean anything at all?. It would seem that many of the switch's cartridges do, but even that isn't a sure thing; disks in the Xbox, do they even install a functional game at all?

I'm still considering an Xbox series S/X for a emulation machine since it seems to be the better way to go over rolling the dice on legitimate roms to download (I may be out of touch there). If I do decide on an X I don't believe I'd do a digital one as it doesn't really make much sense to me.

Last edited:
I'd only want the X as a blueray player... honestly between the X and a PS5 I'd go PS5 every day all day.
I had one for a while and honestly the game selection was poor at the time and I hardly used it, so I sold it to a friend.

I had one for a while and honestly the game selection was poor at the time and I hardly used it, so I sold it to a friend.
Pretty much the same here - I got one, it was neat for about 5 minutes. I keep it around because it's my only 4K BD player, but other than that I have absolutely zero use for it - there isn't anything on Xbox that isn't already on PC and better for it. My son doesn't even use it.

FTC leak suggests a 2024 september launch.

Shockingly for the same $499 price

LOL... I think the Shockingly must be a sarcastic remark. ;) I think that means they are going to stop the other one.
I am guessing that since price is same, the current models will be stopped.

'Shockingly' was because this loses a key functionality to be able to play blu-ray movies but still costs the same.

Tbf, they increased ssd capacity to 2TB, faster wifi & improved PlayStation like controller with haptic feedback & motion sensors

Become a Patron!
Back