Xbox Series X: Microsoft Unveils Next-Gen Console Resembling Mini PC Tower

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Phil Spencer took the stage during The Game Awards 2019 to unveil Microsoft's next-gen console, the Xbox Series X. Surprisingly, it looks nothing like a traditional game system: instead of a flat, low-profile box, the designers have crafted something that could easily be mistaken for a Mini-ITX/Micro-ATX tower. This is Microsoft's most powerful console ever, one that can provide "world-class visuals in 4K at 60FPS, with possibility of up to 120FPS, including support for Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), and 8K capability."

We are minimizing latency by leveraging technology such as Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and giving developers new functionality like Dynamic Latency Input (DLI) to make Xbox Series X the most responsive console ever. Xbox Series X is also designed for a future in the cloud, with unique capabilities built into the hardware and software to make it as easy as possible to bring great games to both console and elsewhere. Xbox Series X will deliver a level of fidelity and immersion unlike anything that’s been achieved in previous console generations.

It looks like a shoebox

also horrible name .... XB1X already exists, that gets confusing

I like the design, reminds me of a Silverstone case.

It will come down to games for me between ps5 or xsx, mind you.

Last edited:
I have a PS3 that I rarely use (mainly a Blu Ray player) and was considering an upgrade as I may use a console more down the road. I hope the new Xbox is more reliable than the current one or I may just go with a Playstation again.

I have a PS3 that I rarely use (mainly a Blu Ray player) and was considering an upgrade as I may use a console more down the road. I hope the new Xbox is more reliable than the current one or I may just go with a Playstation again.
what do you mean by "reliable"? The 360 certainly had it's growing pain issues until the last slim version came out (I went through 6 of them) .. but I've never had issues with my One or One S.. :unsure:

I would totally get onboard with Xbox if they actually could run Windows and function similarly to a PC

I would totally get onboard with Xbox if they actually could run Windows and function similarly to a PC
isn't what they run a "tweaked" version of Windows 10? ..so it wouldn't be much to have a "Windows Mode" tile or something if they wanted to.

what do you mean by "reliable"? The 360 certainly had it's growing pain issues until the last slim version came out (I went through 6 of them) .. but I've never had issues with my One or One S.. :unsure:

From what I have read they haven't been reliable. I'm sure it's like almost everything else, because there are a lot of them out there then you're going to see more issues. That also means there are going to a lot of people with no issues.

After someone naming their console Wii, I guess nothing surprises me anymore

It looks fine to me. It's a console, so I have little interest in it, but the physical box looks good.

Become a Patron!
Back