Xbox Series X|S Is Lagging behind Xbox 360 in Sales

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Xbox Series X|S, Microsoft's latest generation of Xbox consoles, is being outshined by its predecessor in the realm of sales, according to new figures shared online that show how the new hardware is now behind the Xbox 360 by as many as 0.47 million units.

See full article...

Yeah no sh1t. Microsoft has not been able to recover since those days. They "won" 7th-gen with a developer-friendly system that had superior development tools, and which most devs focused on as their lead development console before porting those games over to PS3, but then after that they've been having their @sses handed to them by both Sony and Nintendo. Kinda sad when a much weaker system (Switch) comes out 4 years after your system (XB1) and completely owns you. Microsoft's biggest problem is that they don't have exclusives that people are dying to play. Sony really knocked it outta the park in that regard for 8th-gen, and 9th-gen ain't too shabby either. Sorry but Halo Infinite, Gears of War 4 and 5, and Sea of Thieves aren't gonna compete with games like God of War 4 and 5, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn, Horizon Forbidden West, R&C 2016 and Rift Apart, Spider-Man 1/Miles Morales/2, and others. And Mark Cerny set up the PS4 (and now the PS5) to be similar to the X360 in terms of ease of development and having good dev tools and stuff. I got an XB1 as a gift, I only use it to play X360 and original Xbox games. And some of the X360 and original Xbox games I have don't even work on 8th-gen and 9th-gen Xboxes, so I still have to use the original systems. There's no point to getting an XBSX because all those games come to PC. Sony is finally going that route too, but the difference is, Sony has games I actually want to play on PC. Xbox 360 was Microsoft's last truly good system. XBSX has nice hardware, but no real reason to use it.

Lets be real part of the reason Xbox 360 had so many sales was because people had a **** ton of xbox 360 games and would have to buy a new one when they invariably went RROD. I know I gave up after my 3rd Xbox 360 ate it. Never again.

Lets be real part of the reason Xbox 360 had so many sales was because people had a **** ton of xbox 360 games and would have to buy a new one when they invariably went RROD. I know I gave up after my 3rd Xbox 360 ate it. Never again.
You bring up a good point. Though I'd argue that the PS1 (multiple revisions, especially the first one) and the PS2 (multiple revisions, especially the Slim) were the most troublesome, least reliable systems. But yeah since X360 was the lead console for 7th-gen, people have invested in it, and had sizable game libraries. So yeah if they had one die, then they had to replace it if they wanted to keep playing those games.

My brother's original X360 died. Someone gave him another one, which he got soft-modded. Later he also got the final revision of the X360. That one still works fine. Both of his PS3's stopped working, but I forgot why.

My X360 (black Elite which was first X360 with an HDMI port, and I believe it was the Falcon motherboard) actually didn't die from RRoD, it got the E74 error. Microsoft's free extended warranty only covered RRoD. Which meant I had to pay outta pocket to get my X360 repaired.

My PS3 (which was bought as a refurb, and never had a working Ethernet port) had the optical drive die. My friend's launch-day PS3 died from YLoD. But the optical drive was fine. So I took the drive out of his PS3 and put it in mine. Been working fine since.

My PS2 Slim stopped reading discs, and its memory card ports are real sketchy. Thinking about replacing the optical drive with an SD card reader. Don't know what I can do about the memory card ports though. At least my PS2 Slim didn't catch on fire and burn my house down like they've had been known to do back in the second half of the 2000s.

My first PS1's drive motor died. Too bad, that system was hard-modded. Also I think it had memory card port issues as well.

My SNES's CPU died. My Super Famicom has a broken vRAM trace, causing corrupted graphics.

At one point my Wii would only boot to black screen, but it was soft-modded and I had NAND backups and data backups, so my friend (who was the one who soft-modded it) was able to completely repair it, and recover all my data.

My first Sega Saturn (USA model 1) and my first Gamecube both stopped reading discs. But the power going to the lenses just needed to be adjusted by turning a potentiometer screw.

My brother's Mega Drive/Genesis Model 2 has a wonky plug for the AC adapter. You have to press down on the cable where it plugs into the back of the Genesis to make a good connection. We usually just put something kinda heavy on it.

Haha you made me go on a trip down memory lane recalling all the consoles I had issues with (that I can remember at this time at least). I was lucky to avoid X360's RRoD, but yeah E74 got me instead.

Speaking of RRoD:
(Full documentary playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0il2l-B_WwadxfTkK3-NLoYNcQEHdBGO)

Last edited:
There is some truth to this, I bought 3 of them. I only bought one new though, the "fixed" Jasper version. If we're counting the 2 RROD replacements I got, I had 5 of them total. # of PS3 slims owned? ONE.

I only had a ps2 die on me, did skip the ps3 era.

My mom's switch stopped working/charging a couple weeks ago, strangely enough after beeing dead for a week orso it did start ot charge again, gave me the option to transfer het firles to her new Oled one. Not trusting the old one to keep working..

More on topic, MS realy needs more and better exclusives if they want to keep selling hardware and to stop releasing them on PC at the sale time.

And it would be ideal if they added mouse and keyboard support to all games on their console.

stop releasing them on PC at the sale time
As a gamer who primarily plays on PC (though I've had at least one console each generation from 2nd-gen through 8th-gen), I definitely don't want this. I've been very happy that they release their games on PC at the same time as on the Xbox consoles. And not only that, but they offer the games on Steam too, not just in their own sh1tty store. I wish they would put their games on GOG, but oh well, just happy to have them on PC on a decent platform.

I admit though that exclusives are mainly what sell the consoles. The main reason to buy one particular console over another (or in addition to another) is because of the exclusive games that can only be played on that console. Microsoft doesn't really have anything of value in that regard anymore. I've always hated exclusivity though, especially when it concerns those games not ending up on PC. I hope those times are over. And if they really are, 9th-gen will be the first generation where I don't get any of the consoles (well not counting Switch, which yeah it is weak as f*ck, but technically it is still a 9th-gen console because it follows either 8th-gen 3DS and/or 8th-gen Wii U).

it would be ideal if they added mouse and keyboard support to all games on their console.
8th-gen and 9th-gen Xboxes offer far more mouse+keyboard support than any console ever has, but yeah several games is not the same as ALL games. But I do appreciate the progress they've made in this regard so far.

Wow, I did NOT know some Switch games support mouse and keyboard: https://www.destructoid.com/which-switch-games-have-mouse-and-keyboard-support-list/

I barely remember which of the old console games supported mouse and keyboard. Games like Quake 3 on Dreamcast, one of the id Software games on PS1 (maybe Quake 1?), UT on PS2, and UT3 on PS3.

8th-gen and 9th-gen Xboxes offer far more mouse+keyboard support than any console ever has, but yeah several games is not the same as ALL games. But I do appreciate the progress they've made in this regard so far.

Nice to see they added a bunch of games, last time I checked there were only a dozen orso games on the list. Still missing some of the ones I would realy want on there.

Become a Patron!
Back