Your 2023 Game of the Year

Brian_B

FPS Enthusiast
**** what all the major outlets say, I want to hear what was your favorite game of the year?

It was a good year for video games - a lot of high profile releases, and a lot of good releases (not necessarily the same pool of games there). Also a lot of duds.

Unfortunately, Steam hasn't updated their Year in Review for 2023 yet. That was kinda neat to see the data all laid out.

For myself:

2022 was all about MMOs, I put a lot of time into Rift that year, but I veered away from it in 2023. I still log into Rift almost daily, but I don't put any hours into it. I've done pretty much everything to do in that game and just collecting artifacts now as something low key to do while I drink coffee in the morning.

I think I put the most hours in Last Epoch, at least recently. An ARPG style game, I'm more or less done with the game now, but I ran through all classes all the way up to the gear grind stage. It was fun, I look forward to picking it back up later this spring when the last couple of class updates hit.

I put several hours into Dyson Sphere Program, Factorio and Satisfactory. These games are all roughly the same genre (automation building), and have different strengths and weaknesses. All three get frequent updates (DSP just got a major one I'm about to dig into). Factorio may be my current favorite game of all time.

Embers Adrift gets my labor of love award. I did buy it, it scratches an itch, but I don't think it's anything I can commit to long-term. It reminds me of old-school Everquest - those brutal MMOs where everything is challenging. While I enjoyed them in their heyday, and I do enjoy Embers Adrift, I just don't have the time to commit to it to make it past just killing a bit of wildlife for an hour and calling it a day without really having accomplished anything.

I'll give Baulder's Gate 3 a shout out - they made the brave decision to buck the industry trend come out with a complete game, no micro transactions and no Day 1 DLC. These aren't my style of game, but I bought it just to support the developer. I may get around to poking at it eventually, but generally the turn-based combat that these type of titles use just feels tedious to me and is too cumbersome to try to play in real-time (like you can with Dragon Age, which was similar). But the game that these folks put out is nothing short of amazing.

I'll give Dave the Diver a shout out as well. That was an interesting mashup of concepts that somehow works, and it has a nice chill vibe that resonates.

Most surprising crash and burn ... 2023 had a lot of those. Forspoken I early on thought sounded interesting, it released nothing like what I was hoping for, and it was awful. Redfall - same thing. Lord of the Rings Gollum, yup. Overwatch 2 is not surprising in how it got slammed for it's monetization and bait-n-switch tactics. I'll mention City Skylines II here, but I don't think this is because it was an inherently bad game, just a rushed release and they could right the ship.

But I think my top title that I have played for 2023 was - Chained Echoes. I haven't played it since back in January, when I ultimately beat the game. But it made an impression on me. It was unexpectedly refreshing, it was a perfect showcase game for the Steam Deck and other portables like it, and it scratched that nostalgia itch perfectly without being woefully out of date on convenience or modern comforts. A 2D pixel art JRPG style game, it was one of the best I've ever played - I'd put it right up there with Chrono Trigger and FF6 in that genre.

For me there are three standout games that make up 2023...

1. Hogwarts Legacy. They completely nailed this game It's spot on for the world and setting. There are some things that could have been done better of course but I love this game and it came out complete.

2. Jedi Survivor. Beautiful game, nice gameplay, and passably interesting story. Even if it was a bit rote with the major plot elements for Star Wars.
3. Baulders Gate 3. Great game super deep. Yes it is turn based but I don't care.

and of course 4. Starfield. I enjoyed the core story but feel like the NG+ and how they did it is just... tedious.

After a few terrible years finally things are looking up this year. 2022 only brought a single game worth mentioning: Marvel's Midnight Suns

Honorable mention:
2023 however started strong with Hogwart's Legacy. I really liked the game from the start, but I hit a wall in it mid game. So I never really finished it. The game really looks great, but it also runs as a snail, so with my 2080Ti it was an especially frustrating experience due to seemingly unexplainable FPS drops, constantly forcing me to turn off RT in it. Loosing out on some of the amazing detail included in the game. Animations are also super, especially the facial expressions.

hl.jpg

The reason I quit halfway through the campaign is that I simply ran out of quests to do. That might sound strange with an incomplete campaign, but the main story missions have certain skill and level requirements for them to unlock, and I lacked some skill to progress further, meaning I'd have had to do some pointless grind to be able to progress further. I'm sorry but that's just not how I operate in these open world games so I hit the road. It could've been a GOTY contender, but it juts fell short due this frustrating roadblock.

I might eventually revisit the game now that I've upgraded to a 4080, but it's not on the immediate agenda.

The elephant in the gaming room.
I can't go without mentioning Baldur's Gate 3 due to its popularity. The disclaimer is that I have not played it, therefore it can't compete for my GOTY title. My reason for not playing it is simple, I don't expect to like it. Therefore it needs to be much cheaper before I'm willing to waste money on it. I expect it will be another Witcher 3 for me. If you haven't heard the story yet, I don't like that game at all. I consider the gameplay mid at best and I can't stand the titular character.

With BG3 I'm especially skittish about the progressive agenda, I fear this time that would be the thing that ruins the story for me instead of the playable character being a giant prick. And the D&D style dice rolling game mechanics also give me pause, I prefer games of skill and strategy. I feel RNG is too much of the deciding factor here whether you succeed or fail. Thereefore I don't expect to play BG3 until price drops at least bellow $30, preferably $20.

The not so unexpected disappointment of the year.
To investigate the reason for the sheer popularity of from software games I decided if I'm ever going to try one it has to be Armored Core 6. As Sci-fi is much closer to my heart than fantasy. What is disappointing to me, is not even the game, but that there are millions of gamers out there to whom this represents the pinnacle of game design.

I'm not going to beat around the bush, this game design screams early 90s to me. It's simple as a stick. That doesn't mean it's bad, but to me it can not compete against more complex RPGs and immersive sims. Even if I dislike Witcher 3, I'd rather they make more games like that, than more of this. I can understand the appeal of brainless fun, but the same way a comedy won't win best picture a simplistic game like this can't be considered on the GOTY level for me.

And I'm being very generous when I call it brainless fun, because the more fair description would be frustration, instead of fun. And all of a sudden a million fromsoftware fans jump at my throat screaming you just hate it because you suck at it. And thus we have arrived at the real reason why these games are popular in my opinion: Bragging rights. The feeding of the ego. I pity those who think beating a videogame boss is something to be bragged about. I play videogames to have fun, not for the bragging rights. And let me tell you repeating the same boss countless times until you figure out a strategy to beat it, is not my idea of fun. My idea of a fun game has immersion and mechanics that give me that feeling of satisfaction. AC6 gives neither. The mechanics and gameplay are frustrating, there is zero immersion due to its trial and error nature, and when you finally beat it the feeling is not satisfaction, it is relief.

And the winner is...
Hold your horses, it is not that simple. I've been going back and forth in my head on this for months, and the conclusion is that I can't come to a conclusion. I feel if I choose either of these two games over the other as GOTY then I'm doing a disservice to the other. Therefore I've decided that I name both GOTY as a shared award.

In strictly chronological order the first half GOTY of 2023 is: Jagged Alliance 3. It is a flawless victory for heimemont games, as they managed to createa beautiful looking turn based strategy game that fully embraces the spirit of the originals. It also avoids the "updated for modern audiences" trope as it is completely unfiltered and politically incorrect when it needs to be. But not in a mean way. The beloved stereotypical characters are here and they've never been better, with the addition of new characters who are just as adorably clichéd.

ja3t.jpg

The game was already really good OOB, but the devs are fully committed to supporting it, and they already implemented some of the most requested features like the ability to purchase arms and ammo. They also released a free content expansion recently. I really can't recommend JA3 enough. Unfortunately it was quite neglected and overlooked by the streamer sphere. So it needs all the promotion it can get.

And the other half of the award goes to: Starfield
Yes, quite controversial choice, but this game offered countless hours of fun, in spite of its many flaws.

image015.jpg

If you want to enjoy Starfield then disregard that it is a videogame, if you try to play it with that expectation that the world is designed for your benefit you'll be disappointed. Am I telling you that you're playing the game wrong if you do it differently? Yes I am.

If you play Starfield don't expect a carrot on a stick behind every rock. Exploring and finding stuff is its own reward. You need to let go of the old ways of thinking about videogames. Not everything in the game world contains a reward with your name on it. Treat it as reality. If you were a real space explorer, you wouldn't try and land your ship on every barren rock, you'd scan planets and only land where something stands out. And even after landing you'd only explore on foot if you see something worth exploring. The game is only as boring as you make it yourself. If you choose to do repetitive boring things in it, that is on you.

I see many complain that the game is empty. Duh, space is called space for a reason, and uninhabited planets are well, uninhabited planets. I'd not have it any other way, if you'd bump into something big behind every rock on every planet it would be terrible for immersion. It would feel fake. Exploring means not finding anything until you find something. If you find something everywhere every time you are not an explorer, you are a tourist on a guided tour. I could rant for hours on why Starfield is good as it is, but I need to move on to other things.

The graphics of the ship interiors are outstanding, and the FPS aspect is further improved from Fallout 4, now as good as any other FPS. So getting into scraps on foot or with ships is always a fun experience and not a frustrating one. The ship to ship combat mechanics are the age old proven ones all the way back from X-Wing, distributing power between weapons, shields and engines. It is still great.

And then there is the ship builder. If you like building stuff, I'd buy the game just to play around with the ship builder.

I want to give one tip that makes the game far more balanced and rewarding to play in my opinion. Just change the amount vendors pay for stuff to 50% of value, because by default it is extremely low, and it makes looting way too much work for little reward. But with 50% it is just right to make it worth your while to haul more valuable items to sell, this in turn can give you much more freedom to play with the ship builder too. Of course if you want to disregard immersion completely, you can just give yourself cash directly, but I don't recommend that.

I also don't recommend Starfield if you are unwilling to use console commands or mods.

Before I go one more thing I want to mention. Starfield is not the first game you need to play with a specific mindset to enjoy, and it won't be the last. So don't think I'm making excuses for it. Alien Isolation presented a similar issue for those who wanted to play it as an action game. And while the hatred wasn't as widespread there were quite a few individuals who considered it bad.

May we all have an even better year of games in 2024.

I'll start off by saying, I enjoyed Starfield for the most part in spite of its many flaws and serious shortcomings.
And the other half of the award goes to: Starfield
Yes, quite controversial choice, but this game offered countless hours of fun, in spite of its many flaws.

View attachment 2894

If you want to enjoy Starfield then disregard that it is a videogame,
Nonsense. Starfield, like any other video game is a video game first and foremost. It's purpose is to entertain. Full stop.
if you try to play it with that expectation that the world is designed for your benefit you'll be disappointed. Am I telling you that you're playing the game wrong if you do it differently? Yes I am.
The second you have to tell people how to enjoy something that should be enjoyable on its own merits, the game has failed to do what it set out to do. People shouldn't need to be told how to enjoy something. If they do, then its not a good product.
If you play Starfield don't expect a carrot on a stick behind every rock. Exploring and finding stuff is its own reward.
I'm sorry but I don't enjoy roaming around an nearly endless wasteland of procedurally generated, monotonous landscapes without reason. Exploring nothing isn't its own reward, its nothing. There isn't anything engaging about wandering a landscape that has no secrets, no rewards and frankly, not even anything interesting to look at. There are no real POI's and the ones you do have are premade and provided by RNG. You will encounter the same mine or the same facility on dozens of planets while playing the game. This isn't interesting and its not a compelling reason to explore these vast worlds.
You need to let go of the old ways of thinking about videogames. Not everything in the game world contains a reward with your name on it. Treat it as reality.
No, I don't. A video game should entertain me. If it doesn't, I'm not going to play it. I'm not saying every act in the game world needs to have a loot drop necessarily, but I need some reason to explore the game world. Without interesting encounters, things to learn about the lore or even things to see, there is no point in random exploration.

When you explore a planet in Starfield, the area around where your ship touched down is essentially identical to every other location on the planet. You don't get cool rock formations or interesting caves. You don't come out of a rainforest into a tropical area or anything like that. If you land on a planet that's a barren sand heap, the whole thing will be a barren sand heap. A planet of rock formations and no atmosphere will continue to be just that no matter how many times you land on it and regardless of the chosen landing site.

Reality is boring, that's why I play games or watch movies. The exploration in Starfield is about as much fun as an insurance seminar. The comment about abandoning the old ways of thinking is ironic considering that Bethesda has been building all their games the same way for nearly two decades. Starfield scales this up and in doing so, manages to take what was its strength and turn it into the game's biggest weakness. That being interesting exploration in previous games is now about as much fun as reading balance sheets in an accounting firm.
If you were a real space explorer, you wouldn't try and land your ship on every barren rock, you'd scan planets and only land where something stands out. And even after landing you'd only explore on foot if you see something worth exploring. The game is only as boring as you make it yourself. If you choose to do repetitive boring things in it, that is on you.
I'll address this in two parts. First off, there is a very real difference between doing things in real life and doing something in a video game. Being the first human to land on a given world who makes scientific discoveries with every action they take and a video game with a boring landscape with nothing in it. There is nothing to learn. There is nothing to experience. The two experiences are not comparable beyond their visual similarities. You can scan, fight or see just about every life form you will encounter on a planet within a hundred meters or so of your landing site. You can actually figure out what resources are on it from orbit.

The second thing is, this wasn't really a problem for me. The game is 1,000 miles wide and an inch deep. I figured out real quick that there was nothing to find anywhere in this game. So I played the quests and didn't venture away from the marked POI's that are part of quests.
I see many complain that the game is empty. Duh, space is called space for a reason, and uninhabited planets are well, uninhabited planets. I'd not have it any other way, if you'd bump into something big behind every rock on every planet it would be terrible for immersion. It would feel fake. Exploring means not finding anything until you find something. If you find something everywhere every time you are not an explorer, you are a tourist on a guided tour. I could rant for hours on why Starfield is good as it is, but I need to move on to other things.
There is a very good reason why games aren't usually all that realistic. This kind of commentary reminds me of pretentious dickheads like Martin Scorsese that talk about film being art and how films from the heyday of the MCU are theme park rides and not "real cinema". Meanwhile the MCU made more money than his films ever will and appealed to a much broader group of people. Again, there is a reason for that.

With games you have to strike a balance between realism (to maintain suspension of disbelief) and entertainment otherwise your players will lose interest and stop playing the game. And I'm not an explorer or a tourist. I'm a guy trying to play video games to be entertained. That's what they are for.
The graphics of the ship interiors are outstanding,
Yes they are. The game's visuals are pretty good for the most part. Where it falters is with the character models and animations which look like they are over 10 years out of date.
and the FPS aspect is further improved from Fallout 4, now as good as any other FPS.
Not even close. The shooting mechanics and general feel of the game, weapon balance, etc. casts Starfield in a fairly bad light. As an FPS, its serviceable. Nothing more. Cyberpunk 2077 combat for example is far more nuanced and complex than Starfield's is. It feels smoother, more responsive and tighter. Many weapons in Starfield feel nearly useless or aren't good no matter how much you upgrade them. TTK's with some weapons essentially render those weapons useless compared to others. The Rattler makes everything spongy and it takes forever to kill. That cowboy styled sniper rifle (name escapes me right now) isn't worth a ****. It's TTK can be measured in minutes, not seconds.

Destiny 2, Cyberpunk 2077, Doom 2016, any Unreal or Quake game, Overwatch, any Call of Duty single player campaign, most Battlefield games, and nearly any FPS I can think of all have tighter, more responsive controls and more satisfying gun play. I never played Fallout 4, but it sounds like **** if that's where you get this idea that simply being better than that makes Starfield as good as any other FPS because its not. It's subpar compared to most FPS's.
So getting into scraps on foot or with ships is always a fun experience and not a frustrating one. The ship to ship combat mechanics are the age old proven ones all the way back from X-Wing, distributing power between weapons, shields and engines. It is still great.
Honestly, once you unlock all the best weapons in the game, the ship combat loses its appeal as most targets outside of the few legendary class M's the game has are all easy kills. TTK's are shorter for most ships than people on foot and the combat becomes cake. Despite a DPS disadvantage, putting even four or so turrets on your ship essentially means you'll kill targets before you can get them into your crosshairs. There is no real chance to evade enemy fire. You have to tank and spank the other ships basically. Power distribution doesn't really matter all that much once you figure a couple of things out. Reduce power to engines as you can't dodge anyway. Throw everything into weapons and shields and your golden.

I've done a lot of ship combat with and without modding the game. It's super easy. I'm not saying its not fun at times but it's use of proven mechanics is often a poor execution of those mechanics.
And then there is the ship builder. If you like building stuff, I'd buy the game just to play around with the ship builder.
This is why I started playing the game and while I can think of a number of ways the ship builder can be improved, it is a standout feature of the game and a great source of entertainment all on its own. For me this is worth the price of admission alone.
I want to give one tip that makes the game far more balanced and rewarding to play in my opinion. Just change the amount vendors pay for stuff to 50% of value, because by default it is extremely low, and it makes looting way too much work for little reward. But with 50% it is just right to make it worth your while to haul more valuable items to sell, this in turn can give you much more freedom to play with the ship builder too. Of course if you want to disregard immersion completely, you can just give yourself cash directly, but I don't recommend that.
The vendor economy in the game is just poorly executed. I don't know what Bethesda was thinking here. Cyberpunk 2077 has this issue to an extent too but its not as crippling as it is in Starfield.
I also don't recommend Starfield if you are unwilling to use console commands or mods.
On this I think we are in total agreement. Starfield is a neat concept that's poorly executed and the mods and console commands can go a long way towards improving the player experience.
Before I go one more thing I want to mention. Starfield is not the first game you need to play with a specific mindset to enjoy, and it won't be the last.
This is the kind of crap you hear from beer snobs or film buffs who sit around circle jerking about art and meaning or some such crap. The only thing you should need to enjoy a game is the desire to play said game. If the game has the kind of gameplay you are looking for and it entertains more than it frustrates you, then its a good game. If it isn't, then its not for you.

What you are saying is the same crap you hear from snobs who think most people are too stupid to appreciate the "art" or taste of beer that should say 10W-30 on it. Who are you or I to tell anyone how they should enjoy something? You do not need to make excuses for good games. Period.
So don't think I'm making excuses for it.
I believe the kids call it "copium".
Alien Isolation presented a similar issue for those who wanted to play it as an action game. And while the hatred wasn't as widespread there were quite a few individuals who considered it bad.
The only thing I can say about this is that it behooves a game developer to advertise their game properly. As I recall, Alien Isolation came across as being something other than an Amnesia Dark Descent Clone and to some degree it is, but the game also follows a lineage of Aliens themed games which are usually action packed if nothing else. I can see why people got fooled by this.

If I fire up a game expecting action packed gameplay with hordes of alien foes to mow through and I get Alien Isolation, I'm likely to be disappointed. Games like Alien Isolation aren't my cup of tea at all. I only tried it because it was on sale for $4.
May we all have an even better year of games in 2024.
Good luck with that. 2023 was a pretty big year for games and we typically only see good years in gaming every 2 to 3 years. I expect 2024 to be lame and hopefully 2025 will be good. Depending on how things end up going in the gaming industry we might not see some projects completed until 2026 making that the good year. It all depends.

I'll start off by saying, I enjoyed Starfield for the most part in spite of its many flaws and serious shortcomings.
Which is exactly what I said also, but you wouldn't be you if you didn't try to offer a retort even when we say the exact same thing :p
Nonsense. Starfield, like any other video game is a video game first and foremost. It's purpose is to entertain. Full stop.
Of course it is a videogame, I didn't say it wasn't. I said you shouldn't treat it as you used to treat videogames.
The second you have to tell people how to enjoy something that should be enjoyable on its own merits, the game has failed to do what it set out to do. People shouldn't need to be told how to enjoy something. If they do, then its not a good product.
That's a very narrow minded approach. If you give someone a chess set without telling them how they should play it it wouldn't be a very good experience for them.

I'm offering advice on how you can enjoy Starfield, if people refuse to heed that advice that's entirely up to them. I'm not trying to call anyone stupid, I want them to find the same enjoyment I got out of it if they'd only allow it and be more open minded.
I'm sorry but I don't enjoy roaming around an nearly endless wasteland of procedurally generated, monotonous landscapes without reason.
For crying out loud zhat was my exact point, that you shouldn't roam around empty landscapes without a reason. You expect the game to hold your hand and only allow you to roam around where there are rewards. This is the reason I like the game so much because it doesn't try to hold my hand like that.
Exploring nothing isn't its own reward, its nothing. There isn't anything engaging about wandering a landscape that has no secrets, no rewards and frankly, not even anything interesting to look at. There are no real POI's and the ones you do have are premade and provided by RNG. You will encounter the same mine or the same facility on dozens of planets while playing the game. This isn't interesting and its not a compelling reason to explore these vast worlds.
I never explored the same thing twice during my entire 150 hours of playtime. You are your own worst enemy if you repeatedly try to explore the same way. What is it that they say? Repeating the same thing expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. The most repetitive thing I did in it was unlocking temples. When I say exploring should be its own reward I mean you should want to explore the facility / structure to begin with and not just go there for the expected loot. The only buildings and bunkers and outposts I explored were the ones I wanted to explore because they looked interesting already from the outside. Whether I found any secrets there is irrelevant. There
No, I don't. A video game should entertain me.
It would if you'd only let it. If you insist on having video game tropes all the way from the 90s in all new games we'll never have any progress in game design.
If it doesn't, I'm not going to play it. I'm not saying every act in the game world needs to have a loot drop necessarily, but I need some reason to explore the game world. Without interesting encounters, things to learn about the lore or even things to see, there is no point in random exploration.
It is entirely up to you to only explore places in starfield that have things you'd like to see. That was my point in the first place don't just randomly explore, explore like you'd if it was not a game.
When you explore a planet in Starfield, the area around where your ship touched down is essentially identical to every other location on the planet. You don't get cool rock formations or interesting caves. You don't come out of a rainforest into a tropical area or anything like that. If you land on a planet that's a barren sand heap, the whole thing will be a barren sand heap. A planet of rock formations and no atmosphere will continue to be just that no matter how many times you land on it and regardless of the chosen landing site.
Plenty of planets had unexpected formations or unique features on them, including buildings I've never seen elsewhere. I don't think I've even tried to land on the same planet twice. What did you expect really? That you'll find some amazing secret in a completely random star system on a completely random planet, at a completely random unmarked landing zone? Just because you are allowed to land anywhere doesn't mean you should take that as an invitation to land everywhere.
Reality is boring, that's why I play games or watch movies. The exploration in Starfield is about as much fun as an insurance seminar.
I didn't know you had the option to explore interstellar space in reality. Starfield is still fiction, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to make that fiction realistic and believable.
The comment about abandoning the old ways of thinking is ironic considering that Bethesda has been building all their games the same way for nearly two decades. Starfield scales this up and in doing so, manages to take what was its strength and turn it into the game's biggest weakness. That being interesting exploration in previous games is now about as much fun as reading balance sheets in an accounting firm.
The real irony is that I never found the exploration in old bethesda games all that interesting. There are pois everywhere, but after exploring one of a type you basically seen them all. The same architecture and puzzles and even enemies will repeat with slight variation of the layout.
I'll address this in two parts. First off, there is a very real difference between doing things in real life and doing something in a video game. Being the first human to land on a given world who makes scientific discoveries with every action they take and a video game with a boring landscape with nothing in it. There is nothing to learn. There is nothing to experience. The two experiences are not comparable beyond their visual similarities. You can scan, fight or see just about every life form you will encounter on a planet within a hundred meters or so of your landing site. You can actually figure out what resources are on it from orbit.
You just explained perfectly why you wouldn't land on random planets in reality, and this is exactly why you shouldn't do it in Starfield either. Remember you choose to land, nothing in the game forces you to.
The second thing is, this wasn't really a problem for me. The game is 1,000 miles wide and an inch deep. I figured out real quick that there was nothing to find anywhere in this game. So I played the quests and didn't venture away from the marked POI's that are part of quests.
And with some exceptions that is exactly what is prudent to do. The empty planets give a scale to the game, that it wouldn't have otherwise. The reason Mass Effect was not very immersive to me because it lacked this scale.

For example I wish in Cyberpunk 2077 you could go into any building and explore them. even if you find nothing of interest in them. That wouldn't make the game worse it would make it better and more immersive. It is the traditional game design that dictates that if something exists in a game it must by definition have an use for the player.
There is a very good reason why games aren't usually all that realistic. This kind of commentary reminds me of pretentious dickheads like Martin Scorsese that talk about film being art and how films from the heyday of the MCU are theme park rides and not "real cinema". Meanwhile the MCU made more money than his films ever will and appealed to a much broader group of people. Again, there is a reason for that.
Not all realism is beneficial, but without realism games don't have immersion. I'm not suggesting everything should be 100% realistic.
With games you have to strike a balance between realism (to maintain suspension of disbelief) and entertainment otherwise your players will lose interest and stop playing the game. And I'm not an explorer or a tourist. I'm a guy trying to play video games to be entertained. That's what they are for.
Well my suspension of disbelief works a lot better if there is not a chest with my name on every planet and in every cave. There needs to be a balance, but everything being put there for the player's benefit is not a believable balance to me.
Yes they are. The game's visuals are pretty good for the most part. Where it falters is with the character models and animations which look like they are over 10 years out of date.
The animations I agree about, but the charactel models are pretty good, better than Cyberpunk 2077 in my opinion. Except for the random civilians.
Not even close. The shooting mechanics and general feel of the game, weapon balance, etc. casts Starfield in a fairly bad light. As an FPS, its serviceable. Nothing more. Cyberpunk 2077 combat for example is far more nuanced and complex than Starfield's is. It feels smoother, more responsive and tighter. Many weapons in Starfield feel nearly useless or aren't good no matter how much you upgrade them. TTK's with some weapons essentially render those weapons useless compared to others. The Rattler makes everything spongy and it takes forever to kill. That cowboy styled sniper rifle (name escapes me right now) isn't worth a ****. It's TTK can be measured in minutes, not seconds.
I'm just playing Cyberpunk 2077 again from the beginning and the difference is not that significant compared to Starfield. Yes it is somewhat better, but some weapons being useless or much higher TTK is very much a thing in it too. The usability of weapons in Starfield is spread on a wider spectrum, which makes a few weapons quite OP compared to the rest. But this is the same in Cyberpunk only with smaller margins.
Destiny 2, Cyberpunk 2077, Doom 2016, any Unreal or Quake game, Overwatch, any Call of Duty single player campaign, most Battlefield games, and nearly any FPS I can think of all have tighter, more responsive controls and more satisfying gun play. I never played Fallout 4, but it sounds like **** if that's where you get this idea that simply being better than that makes Starfield as good as any other FPS because its not. It's subpar compared to most FPS's.
You are over exaggerating, I think Starfield has nothing to be ashamed of as an FPS compared to other games. With the exception of weapon balance, but that is excusable due to the RPG aspect.
Honestly, once you unlock all the best weapons in the game, the ship combat loses its appeal as most targets outside of the few legendary class M's the game has are all easy kills. TTK's are shorter for most ships than people on foot and the combat becomes cake. Despite a DPS disadvantage, putting even four or so turrets on your ship essentially means you'll kill targets before you can get them into your crosshairs. There is no real chance to evade enemy fire. You have to tank and spank the other ships basically. Power distribution doesn't really matter all that much once you figure a couple of things out. Reduce power to engines as you can't dodge anyway. Throw everything into weapons and shields and your golden.
It's presumptuous to think that just becauase you found a strategy that works that's the only way to do things. You can evade enemy fire pretty well using boosters and a fast ship.
I've done a lot of ship combat with and without modding the game. It's super easy. I'm not saying its not fun at times but it's use of proven mechanics is often a poor execution of those mechanics.
It's super easy as long as the number or level of enemies is not too high. But I prefer super easy over frustratingly hard, either way.
This is why I started playing the game and while I can think of a number of ways the ship builder can be improved, it is a standout feature of the game and a great source of entertainment all on its own. For me this is worth the price of admission alone.
The building of ships and hiring crew is a more rewarding goal in the game than the main story that's for sure. Not that main stories were worth a **** in any Bethesda RPG.
The vendor economy in the game is just poorly executed. I don't know what Bethesda was thinking here. Cyberpunk 2077 has this issue to an extent too but its not as crippling as it is in Starfield.
Thankfully it is an easy fix through console. Cyberpunk is far more generous, I have like a million eddies in it, and I haven't even started Phantom Liberty yet, no cheating.
On this I think we are in total agreement. Starfield is a neat concept that's poorly executed and the mods and console commands can go a long way towards improving the player experience.
Well, there is a first time for everything. :D
This is the kind of crap you hear from beer snobs or film buffs who sit around circle jerking about art and meaning or some such crap. The only thing you should need to enjoy a game is the desire to play said game. If the game has the kind of gameplay you are looking for and it entertains more than it frustrates you, then its a good game. If it isn't, then its not for you.
I don't disagree with that, but most people instead of concluding "this game is not for me" declare that "this game is crap" which is as good as calling everyone who likes it dumb.
What you are saying is the same crap you hear from snobs who think most people are too stupid to appreciate the "art" or taste of beer that should say 10W-30 on it. Who are you or I to tell anyone how they should enjoy something? You do not need to make excuses for good games. Period.
Not all games appeal to everybody. So by that definition there are no good games, since someone doesn't enjoy it for sure. And it's not a popularity contest either something being popular is not proof of quality.
The only thing I can say about this is that it behooves a game developer to advertise their game properly. As I recall, Alien Isolation came across as being something other than an Amnesia Dark Descent Clone and to some degree it is, but the game also follows a lineage of Aliens themed games which are usually action packed if nothing else. I can see why people got fooled by this.
I think the problem was that the game came out after colonial marines and after that disappointment many jumped on Alien Isolation to right that wrong not knowing that it is a very different game.
If I fire up a game expecting action packed gameplay with hordes of alien foes to mow through and I get Alien Isolation, I'm likely to be disappointed. Games like Alien Isolation aren't my cup of tea at all. I only tried it because it was on sale for $4.
If I get a burger when expecting a hot-dog I'd not think that it is a very ****ty hot-dog.
Good luck with that. 2023 was a pretty big year for games and we typically only see good years in gaming every 2 to 3 years. I expect 2024 to be lame and hopefully 2025 will be good. Depending on how things end up going in the gaming industry we might not see some projects completed until 2026 making that the good year. It all depends.
I don't even have any games that I'm looking forward to that much, but one can always hope for the best while expecting nothing.

I said you shouldn't treat it as you used to treat videogames.
Which I disagree with.
That's a very narrow minded approach. If you give someone a chess set without telling them how they should play it it wouldn't be a very good experience for them.
There is a difference between teaching someone how a game works and telling them how it has to be enjoyed. What you are really doing is mental gymnastics to try and convince people its a good game by telling them the mindset you had and the reasons why you enjoyed the game. You are basically telling people why the game's shortcomings aren't exactly that.

Good games need no excuses. Their players also do not need to be told what mindset they need to have to simply enjoy the experience.
I'm offering advice on how you can enjoy Starfield, if people refuse to heed that advice that's entirely up to them. I'm not trying to call anyone stupid, I want them to find the same enjoyment I got out of it if they'd only allow it and be more open minded.
Be open minded all you want. Enjoyment of games is more or less a binary thing. You either enjoy a game or you don't. Sure, there are degrees of enjoyment for any game but being open minded won't change the fact that the game design is dated at best and primitive at its worst.
For crying out loud zhat was my exact point, that you shouldn't roam around empty landscapes without a reason. You expect the game to hold your hand and only allow you to roam around where there are rewards. This is the reason I like the game so much because it doesn't try to hold my hand like that.
A game being linear isn't necessarily hand holding. Clear objectives and directives also respect the players time by focusing their attention on what needs to be done and leads players to the next POI or story element, cut scene or whatever. There is certainly a place for sandbox type gameplay. However, the trade off is narrative focus and a more generic experience. Unfortunately, Starfield's sandbox is more of a series of loosely connected shoeboxes that you access via a bunch of fast travel points and loading screens.
I never explored the same thing twice during my entire 150 hours of playtime. You are your own worst enemy if you repeatedly try to explore the same way. What is it that they say? Repeating the same thing expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.
I thought exploration was its own reward? Are you telling me that you shouldn't explore the game or that you should and be grateful that you can explore nothing because that's rewarding?

I simply stated that a planet is essentially the same as the 100m area around your landing site and that you can experience all a planet has to offer in Starfield simply by going to the POI's related to your quests. There is no need for exploration and even if wandering around is your thing, you won't get anything out of it. There is nothing to be found.
The most repetitive thing I did in it was unlocking temples. When I say exploring should be its own reward I mean you should want to explore the facility / structure to begin with and not just go there for the expected loot. The only buildings and bunkers and outposts I explored were the ones I wanted to explore because they looked interesting already from the outside. Whether I found any secrets there is irrelevant. There

It would if you'd only let it.
The buildings and facilities you find at least have loot in them. However, they are all pre-generated and then randomized for each planet. This means that Bunker A can appear any number of times on various planets. You will end up exploring Bunker A more than once (with randomized loot and possibly different factions as enemies) even if you do the bare minimum to complete quests in the game. There are only a handful of mines, buildings, outposts, bunkers and installations that exist in the game and each will be encountered many times in different places.

In most games that make exploration part of the experience, the player is provided with a reward for putting in the time and effort to explore the landscape. Easter eggs, interesting items, secrets, special loot, or discovered lore and even sometimes achievements are all provided as potential incentives to do this. Starfield may have more explorable area than any other game in history but it doesn't make any of it interesting. Nor does it reward you for the time sink.
If you insist on having video game tropes all the way from the 90s in all new games we'll never have any progress in game design.
I wasn't suggesting that video game tropes from the 1990's and beyond were necessary. Again, talking about progress in game design in reference to Bethesda is ****ing hilarious since its still building games like its 2007.
It is entirely up to you to only explore places in starfield that have things you'd like to see. That was my point in the first place don't just randomly explore, explore like you'd if it was not a game.
That's all I did. I've only criticized Bethesda on the exploration element of the game because it chose a quantity over quality approach to the game world. It's a game that's as big as an ocean but only an inch deep. Sure, you can travel great distances but it never feels like it given the prevalence of fast travel and the places you go have no depth to them. They are rarely interesting and again, doing the bare minimum you'll encounter the same mines and outposts on different planets repeatedly. I will criticize them for this because its lazy and uninspired.
Plenty of planets had unexpected formations or unique features on them, including buildings I've never seen elsewhere.
There are very few unique structures in Starfield. Earth certainly has them as an example but again, the duplication of mines and other facilities is well documented by many reviewers and random Youtubers. I'll confirm it myself. There are unique ones. The Mantis's lair is one example of that.
I don't think I've even tried to land on the same planet twice. What did you expect really? That you'll find some amazing secret in a completely random star system on a completely random planet, at a completely random unmarked landing zone? Just because you are allowed to land anywhere doesn't mean you should take that as an invitation to land everywhere.
Actually, if a planet can support life I would expect different regions of the planet to have different weather, plant and animal life as well as different geographical features. Sure, a lifeless planetoid that looks like Mercury would probably be uniformly boring but not every planet should be.

Bethesda chose quantity over quality with its planets. Five or six explorable planets that were highly detailed, varied and hand crafted would have made a lot more sense and been more immersive than this far reaching procedurally generated sameness all over the place.
I didn't know you had the option to explore interstellar space in reality. Starfield is still fiction, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to make that fiction realistic and believable.
You are the one who said to treat it like reality. Again with telling people how to enjoy a game. Reality isn't necessarily exciting. Games need to strike a balance between being realistic and entertaining.
The real irony is that I never found the exploration in old bethesda games all that interesting. There are pois everywhere, but after exploring one of a type you basically seen them all. The same architecture and puzzles and even enemies will repeat with slight variation of the layout.
I don't disagree. My issues with Bethesda building the game this way aren't because I was hoping it would be like other Bethesda games. I just think the amount of space we were provided is completely pointless the way its been utilized.
You just explained perfectly why you wouldn't land on random planets in reality, and this is exactly why you shouldn't do it in Starfield either. Remember you choose to land, nothing in the game forces you to.

And with some exceptions that is exactly what is prudent to do. The empty planets give a scale to the game, that it wouldn't have otherwise. The reason Mass Effect was not very immersive to me because it lacked this scale.
The game's extra worlds do not give it scale when you use a system of menus and fast travels to reach them. The game feels remarkably tiny despite having so many worlds. Immersion in a game isn't necessarily about scale. Story, characters, setting, world building and gameplay all have an impact on feelings of immersion.

Many people would disagree with you about how immersive Starfield is even compared to Mass Effect. Even basic stuff like conversations with NPC's in Starfield are years behind the Mass Effect series.
For example I wish in Cyberpunk 2077 you could go into any building and explore them. even if you find nothing of interest in them. That wouldn't make the game worse it would make it better and more immersive.
No, it wouldn't. Is the real world less immersive because you can't simply walk into any house or apartment you want to? It wouldn't make sense for me to do it in Cyberpunk 2077 either. I think it would hurt the game to have built it that way rather than how they did. It takes resources and time to generate that stuff and its useless.

Sure, conceptually being able to explore every room and closet of a city sounds good but in reality, it wouldn't add much if anything to the game.
It is the traditional game design that dictates that if something exists in a game it must by definition have an use for the player.
It's an issue of practicality and resources. There is no need to waste time, effort and resources on building things that players won't interact with or likely won't ever interact with.
Not all realism is beneficial, but without realism games don't have immersion. I'm not suggesting everything should be 100% realistic.
And this is why I say being able to go into every apartment and house in Night City isn't beneficial. Even if in some ways it could make the game more immersive, the juice to do it isn't worth the squeeze. When you have finite resources, you are better off using them towards improving other aspects of the game or adding elsewhere than making random **** open to the player that serves no purpose.
Well my suspension of disbelief works a lot better if there is not a chest with my name on every planet and in every cave. There needs to be a balance, but everything being put there for the player's benefit is not a believable balance to me.
Your tastes are pretty far from the mainstream based on what I can see from your posts. Nothing wrong with that, but people are here for their dopamine hit. They need rewards or they do not engage with the content. Frankly, wandering around an area with few if any interesting natural formations, no loot, no enemies, or anything else isn't entertaining for most people.
The animations I agree about, but the character models are pretty good, better than Cyberpunk 2077 in my opinion. Except for the random civilians.
They say looks are subjective but I think you are the only person who thinks this.
I'm just playing Cyberpunk 2077 again from the beginning and the difference is not that significant compared to Starfield. Yes it is somewhat better, but some weapons being useless or much higher TTK is very much a thing in it too. The usability of weapons in Starfield is spread on a wider spectrum, which makes a few weapons quite OP compared to the rest. But this is the same in Cyberpunk only with smaller margins.
Not even close. I can't think of many weapons that have TTK's as high as a lot of them in Starfield. I think there are a lot more useless weapons in Starfield compared to Cyberpunk 2077, the latter of which has a **** ton more weapons to choose from. Starfield does have a couple of OP weapons that are well beyond anything in CP2077 for that, but that is only because of the 2.x patches which rebalanced everything and level set things a bit better. You no longer have extreme standouts in CP2077. Prior to 1.5 or 1.6, you absolutely did.
You are over exaggerating, I think Starfield has nothing to be ashamed of as an FPS compared to other games.
I never said it should be ashamed. I said the game had serviceable shooting mechanics but that they were subpar compared to most AAA shooters and I stand by that statement. That's not to say that Starfield's combat isn't fun. I'm disagreeing with your statement than its on par with any other shooter out there. It certainly isn't. It's adequate in this area, nothing more.
With the exception of weapon balance, but that is excusable due to the RPG aspect.
Being an RPG does not excuse this. You are the one talking about old tropes of game design holding them back, and that's certainly what this thinking does.
It's presumptuous to think that just becauase you found a strategy that works that's the only way to do things. You can evade enemy fire pretty well using boosters and a fast ship.
I'm simply stating that you can tank and spank everything in the game. With turrets, you can win every fight with no effort or even any piloting on your part. I never said other approaches weren't feasible, I simply said that once you've unlocked the best weapons, reactors, and shields in the game that the combat was no longer challenging and that the proven mechanics you are talking about that the game uses are poorly implemented.
It's super easy as long as the number or level of enemies is not too high.
There are very few instances in the game where this can even happen.
The building of ships and hiring crew is a more rewarding goal in the game than the main story that's for sure. Not that main stories were worth a **** in any Bethesda RPG.
I don't care about the crew really. I just like building the ships. I've modded the game to allow me to take ship building to entirely new levels.
I don't disagree with that, but most people instead of concluding "this game is not for me" declare that "this game is crap" which is as good as calling everyone who likes it dumb.
As I've said many times....I think that the game is greater than the sum of its parts. I found it to be much more fun than I should have given its bugs, issues, bad design decisions and limitations. However, on a technical level I think its fair to call it subpar at best and crap at worst depending on how many of the issues you've experienced.
Not all games appeal to everybody. So by that definition there are no good games, since someone doesn't enjoy it for sure. And it's not a popularity contest either something being popular is not proof of quality.
I don't even know how to make sense of this statement given what it was in response to. It doesn't seem like a response to what I said.
I think the problem was that the game came out after colonial marines and after that disappointment many jumped on Alien Isolation to right that wrong not knowing that it is a very different game.

If I get a burger when expecting a hot-dog I'd not think that it is a very ****ty hot-dog.
This is not a good analogy. If I buy a hot dog and get a burger, I'll be upset that I didn't get what I asked for. I am not going to eat the burger and say that was a ****ty hot dog. I can tell its not a hot dog. If I like burgers, I might be pleased if I chose to eat the burger and it was a good burger. Or I'll get my money back. Lots of ways to go here but a burger isn't ever going to fool anyone into thinking it was a hot dog.

Movies and games aren't like that. You can cut a trailer for either of them that makes people think that the story or type of game or film is something drastically different than what it is. This has been a problem for a lot of movies where they put all the action in the trailer making you think it has more action and excitement in it than it actually does.

Everyone who has played Bethesda games knows Bethesda doesn't really ever change its ways. They expected Fallout in Space and for the most part, that's what they got. However, in their hubris to make the game bigger and bigger, they made it too big and Bethesda's normal strength became its weakness as it had no idea how to even make a space game to begin with, much less adapt their normal game design to that.

I haven’t played Starfield yet - all the Bethesda games kinda play the same since Oblivion

I haven’t played Starfield yet - all the Bethesda games kinda play the same since Oblivion
I wasn't kidding when I said Bethesda has been making games like its still 2007.

There are very few unique structures in Starfield. Earth certainly has them as an example but again, the duplication of mines and other facilities is well documented by many reviewers and random Youtubers. I'll confirm it myself. There are unique ones. The Mantis's lair is one example of that.
There are a great deal of unique structures, you just have to find them.
Actually, if a planet can support life I would expect different regions of the planet to have different weather, plant and animal life as well as different geographical features. Sure, a lifeless planetoid that looks like Mercury would probably be uniformly boring but not every planet should be.
That's true, I did not think about that.
It's an issue of practicality and resources. There is no need to waste time, effort and resources on building things that players won't interact with or likely won't ever interact with.
This is where generated content comes in, and with generative AI I think we'll see much more of it. I just hope they use it well instead of padding games with useless grind.

There are very few instances in the game where this can even happen.
You just have to go to a higher level system for it to happen.
Your tastes are pretty far from the mainstream based on what I can see from your posts. Nothing wrong with that, but people are here for their dopamine hit. They need rewards or they do not engage with the content. Frankly, wandering around an area with few if any interesting natural formations, no loot, no enemies, or anything else isn't entertaining for most people.
Sims have no loot or enemies either. You only play them for immersion's sake. If a game world is good enough I happily wander around in it. Like in CP2077 I rarely use fast travel, I just strap in and enjoy the sights when going somewhere. If it is not far I won't even use a car.
They say looks are subjective but I think you are the only person who thinks this.
CP2077 characters give me the impression that they are plastic dolls. The clothing also looks more detailed in Starfield.

sf1.jpg

image016.jpg

PHE19B~1.jpg

2o.jpg

It's not a huge difference, but I prefer Starfield in this.

Become a Patron!
Back