YouTube Plans to Force Ads on All Videos, Even for Creators Who Can’t Monetize Them

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
yt-logo-black-background-1024x576.jpg
Image: YouTube

It appears that YouTube doesn’t think it’s making enough money. In a recent update to the popular video-sharing platform’s terms of service agreement (via Forbes), Google added a new section titled “Right to Monetize,” which gives the company the right to add advertisements to all uploaded content. That would include videos from creators who aren’t eligible to earn money from ads as part of the YouTube Partner Program.

“You grant to YouTube the right to monetize your Content on the Service (and such monetization may include displaying ads on or within Content or charging users a fee for access),” the new section reads. “This Agreement does not...

Continue reading...

Guaaat?
Awesome.
This... Bullcrap about youtube not making money... Always sounds so... Bullcrappy... I mean Youtube is the single most obvious way you see adds on the internet... And you see A LOT of them... Yet, I am supposed to believe that the search manipulation ads are worth billions upon billions upon billions ( I know the manipulation part is worth a lot...) Yet tons and tons of ads watched by millions and millions of people equals youtube loses money?
No no incentive at all to demonetize even more arbitrarily.... Plus if you put your video with the intention if no ads,m and only gave sponsorships, well.. its going to have ads regardless.

"What this seems to imply is that YouTube will begin profiting off of many people’s work without paying them. That would be pretty slimy."

How is that actually?

So, it's cool to upload your 4K 1 - 4 hours video, FOR FREE AND NO SERVER EXPENSES LIKE USTREAM, etc, but it's somehow unethical for Google to charge a tax for that outrageous bandwidth usages?

I'm all for pro-consumers and all, but let's be real, we have YTers that are multi-millionaires now from Google's free generosity.

Yeah cause moar ads worked so well for cable.

I don't understand why streaming services don't get that a big part of the reason people cut the cord and started streaming is because we were sick of having to watch 5 minutes of commercials for 5 minutes of program.

YouTube's ads aren't intrusive, yet, but they are incrementally making them longer and longer and they've recently started putting ads in 2 or 3 spots throughout the videos as well.

I keep adblock off because I really enjoy the channels I frequent and I want to make my little contribution to them making money but if it gets to the point of being more of a nuisance than it's worth, I and I assume a lot of other people will stop watching and go back to Amazon, Netflix and the like.

Yeah cause moar ads worked so well for cable.

I don't understand why streaming services don't get that a big part of the reason people cut the cord and started streaming is because we were sick of having to watch 5 minutes of commercials for 5 minutes of program.

YouTube's ads aren't intrusive, yet, but they are incrementally making them longer and longer and they've recently started putting ads in 2 or 3 spots throughout the videos as well.

I keep adblock off because I really enjoy the channels I frequent and I want to make my little contribution to them making money but if it gets to the point of being more of a nuisance than it's worth, I and I assume a lot of other people will stop watching and go back to Amazon, Netflix and the like.
I have it all blocked. **** it.

I am on Patreon for about 7 channels, much prefer to give direct if I can.

Look, I understand they have to make money somehow, but can they at least stop cutting off videos mid sentence for an ad? For crying out loud use some sort of AI to identify a pause or scene change or something. This **** is obnoxious.

What do you use that works? I have a pi-hole equivalent (pfblocker-ng) on my router, and ublock origin, and they still play. None of the standard blockers I've used have ever worked on Youtube. I haven't spent too much time researching it though, because with how much youtube I watch (<5min per week on average) it hasnt been worth the effort.

What do you use that works? I have a pi-hole equivalent (pfblocker-ng) on my router, and ublock origin, and they still play. None of the standard blockers I've used have ever worked on Youtube. I haven't spent too much time researching it though, because with how much youtube I watch (<5min per week on average) it hasnt been worth the effort.
Hmh

Ublock O does it for me. Chrome Browser.
FWIW I run a VPN (Mozilla), Malwarebytes and Eset NOD32

Last edited:
"What this seems to imply is that YouTube will begin profiting off of many people’s work without paying them. That would be pretty slimy."

How is that actually?

So, it's cool to upload your 4K 1 - 4 hours video, FOR FREE AND NO SERVER EXPENSES LIKE USTREAM, etc, but it's somehow unethical for Google to charge a tax for that outrageous bandwidth usages?

I'm all for pro-consumers and all, but let's be real, we have YTers that are multi-millionaires now from Google's free generosity.
Well chicken and eggs and so forth.

Don't understand why twich hasn't expanded to be more like youtube... Youtube is trying to kill twitch.

Just know Patreon takes as much, if not more, than Youtube does.

uBlock Origin works fine for me in Firefox and its forks. UBO was just updated recently, so make sure it's updated.

I use uBO, too, along with MalwareBytes, Privacy Badger, and HTTPS Everywhere. Never have a problem with ads....on my pc. Now if only Apple would allow these add-ons in Firefox on the iPad I’d be golden.

Become a Patron!
Back