Zoom Video Conferencing Company Is Being Sued for Alleged Violation of Private User Information

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Zoom-Logo-1024-x-880.png
Image Credit: Zoom

As the world is adapting to changes due to COVID – 19, for both work and personal needs, so are various industries. Some are experiencing unprecedented losses while others are seeing spikes never before dreamed of. One such industry experiencing said increase usage is video conferencing. As broadband and cellular bandwidth have expanded so too has the number of platforms for these type of services. Webinar, Video and Web, conferencing company Zoom has recently come under fire for its alleged use of private user data.

Business Insider has reported on a class action suit that was just filed on Monday. The person that filed the suit alleges that Zoom has failed to properly safeguards personal information. In...

Continue reading...

I get protecting privacy and all that **** but collecting generic hardware data is far from a privacy breech... at least for the users. Maybe Apple wants to get in on this? lol

I get protecting privacy and all that **** but collecting generic hardware data is far from a privacy breech... at least for the users. Maybe Apple wants to get in on this? lol
Hardware data creates a finger print of you that can be used to track you easier through the web. If I know display resolution, cpu type and speed, memory amount, plus mobo or ethernet port type I can ignore most of the noise.

Display resolution is one method used to identify people in tor.

Hardware data creates a finger print of you that can be used to track you easier through the web. If I know display resolution, cpu type and speed, memory amount, plus mobo or ethernet port type I can ignore most of the noise.

Display resolution is one method used to identify people in tor.

That is interesting. So using a more generic resolution means you're less likely to be singled out? Huh... I never considered that. Then again I'm not a TOR user.

That is interesting. So using a more generic resolution means you're less likely to be singled out? Huh... I never considered that. Then again I'm not a TOR user.
It isnt just TOR but that is a hard lesson they learned through that network. Generally you have to leak resolution to websites. This means odd resolutions make you stand out or if they are looking for activity from a specific user they can piece together you are using three different devices on a specific webpage, two different computers(1080p and 4k) plus one mobile(redirect to mobile site with some 480 rez).

Your personal timing habits, hardware and data request create a very specific blueprint if you can piece the data together a little. FPS account post about installing GPU water block, a youtube account starts watching videos about that block at the same time, a new connection to FPS post success. Now we can guess the user has 1 computer possibly two, possibly a phone, we know two of their accounts and what region they live in due to language and being awake. If we can pull more information on what type of hardware we can start combing data from other sources to learn more accounts, more hardware, where they go and where they work.

Become a Patron!
Back