Quake 1! Finally got around to playing it again!

IceDigger

Quasi-regular
Wow what a blast that was! I bought it on GOG a while back but I have not played it much due to life...

I installed the dark places engine and was floored at how much better it was.

The atmosphere, music, and creepy vibe make this game still a blast to play.

I enjoyed Quake quite a bit for it's revolutionary features (at the time) and tweaking it for my 4MB and then 12MB VooDoo cards.
I know I'm in the minority here, but I thought Quake II was a major letdown. The colors were dark brown, medium brown and light brown and the AI was forgettable. It bored me to tears.

My PC at the time wasn't able to play Quake (486 DX-something), so had to play the game on a Sega Saturn and wouldnt play it on PC for a number of years later.

Not too bad of a port on Saturn, actually.

I had heard this was available now with newer resolutions being available. My old disk for Quake maxs out at 768x1024

I had heard this was available now with newer resolutions being available. My old disk for Quake maxs out at 768x1024
GLQuake, released in January 1997, added support for more resolutions. It was an official port released for free 6 months after the game's initial release. The Steam version runs using GLQuake by default. You need to use command line switches to change the resolution. There are modern source ports like DarkPlaces people have been mentioning, but GLQuake still runs just fine on modern systems. I played through Quake the other weekend at 4K using just GLQuake.

GLQuake, released in January 1997, added support for more resolutions. It was an official port released for free 6 months after the game's initial release. The Steam version runs using GLQuake by default. You need to use command line switches to change the resolution. There are modern source ports like DarkPlaces people have been mentioning, but GLQuake still runs just fine on modern systems. I played through Quake the other weekend at 4K using just GLQuake.

And probably still got over 9000 FPS

Become a Patron!
Back