Looking to upgrade my display

Niner51

FPS Regular
I have narrowed my choices down to the Alienware AW3420DW or the Asus PG27UQ. I am currently using an MSI MAG 321CQR that is decent but has started getting a few dead pixels, and honestly it wasn't an expensive monitor so I feel I got what I paid for. I know the two monitors I am looking at are totally different, but I just want to get a quality monitor to last me a while. Is 4k worth it? I'm afraid I won't like going back to a 27 inch monitor so I am considering the Alienware because it would be an upgrade in size an quality. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Alienware out of those 2 choices. I agree that you'll probably regret going form 32" down to 27". That AW 34" gets really good reviews from what I can remember.

Alienware out of those 2 choices. I agree that you'll probably regret going form 32" down to 27". That AW 34" gets really good reviews from what I can remember.

Thank you, and yes, I agree. The new 34" does get really good reviews. The Asus does get good reviews as well, but definitely has a little more quality control issues from what I've read.

I have the AW3418DW. It looks like the AW3420DW is just an update to it. I haven't compared all the tech specs, so I can't speak to all the differences. I just thought I'd say that the one I have, has been fantastic. The display is well built and I like using a 34" 3440x1440 panel for gaming. Take that for whatever it's worth. I had 30" panels back in the day and tried stepping down to faster 27" displays and couldn't do it.

I have the AW3418DW. It looks like the AW3420DW is just an update to it. I haven't compared all the tech specs, so I can't speak to all the differences. I just thought I'd say that the one I have, has been fantastic. The display is well built and I like using a 34" 3440x1440 panel for gaming. Take that for whatever it's worth. I had 30" panels back in the day and tried stepping down to faster 27" displays and couldn't do it.

Thank you. That is my thinking also. The PG27UQ gets favorable reviews, but the size was my only hang up. I'm leaning towards the Alienware now.

Went ahead and ordered the Alienware. Should be here sometime early next week.

After getting called out in the other thread I have started really getting into the weeds with monitor reviews in order to find my next purchase. Ideally want 4k HDR 144hz (I dont need higher honestly) but I know thats a crazy halo product right now with prices ranging from 800-1200 for one of those monitors.

Anyone with experience with HDR 4K 144HZ monitors? Any reasons why its not worth it? Early adopter type of product?

Just need to decide between 3440 or 3840.... And its tough seeing as I built my machine around 4k Gaming.

I swapped out 2 x 27" Acer 1440p monitors for a big honking Acer 43" 4K monitor ET430K for a whopping $400. I love it. Those 27" were $300+ EACH back in 2014-2015. Wifey is using one now on the liv room coffee table for her WFH on her corporate drone HP laptop. The other one has a power supply problem or something, it only comes on when it wants to. I put it on my test bench, if I can fix it I will replace an ancient 19" Dell. My corp drone Dell work laptop is hooked up to Acer ET322QK 32" 4K. I was actually shocked it would output 4k desktop but I did have to buy a special active mini-dp cable.

Ultra widescreen is nice, but man once you go 4K you can't go back. Then again I am not a professional gamer and don't care about 144hz fps. 4k60 is fine with me and the 1080ti does 4k fine. Unless if I play something hardcore like Mankind Divided then I have to drop to 1440p to get back up to 60fps.

Sad part about the big monitor is that 4K TVs have gotten dirt cheap... I see the TCL 43" for $300 or less. That probably would be fine as a monitor, but wasn't an option when I was shopping. Plus I like things like displayport and anti-glare coating.

If I'm going to complain about the Acers.... their OSD menus suck. It's a 20 click process to change the inputs.

Last edited:
I have one of these on backorder - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bh...g_lc49rg90ssnxza_c49rg90s_49_lcd_monitor.html

Will be coming from 3x 1920x1200 screens (5760x1200). Its a few more pixels but not quite at the 4k level. I'm worried it won't be wide enough though...
I have looked at that myself. It is tempting even at the pixel reduction for me. Part of me likes having seperate physical monitors for work though. The ability to organize windows easier without any special software is nice to my brain haha. Still I am considering it and it is beautiful.

$1299!!!!!!!! Crikey!

Cheaper than the Lian li desk I'll put it on!

Also, to put in perspective, I paid 300 each for my 3 screens 7 years ago and about 150 for the triple head stand, so it's really not out of line for pricing.

I have looked at that myself. It is tempting even at the pixel reduction for me. Part of me likes having seperate physical monitors for work though. The ability to organize windows easier without any special software is nice to my brain haha. Still I am considering it and it is beautiful.

I've been running 3x 1920x1200 screens since Eyefinity was first a thing (circa 2008-2009). I've always run as a single 5760x1200 desktop space and it really isn't that bad of an experience to keep things in various places. I do have display fusion now and that adds a few more tricks to it.

At this point, I'm finding Nvidia surround feels buggy in a few ways and the system drags at the desktop. I'm hoping a monitor running the specific resolution instead of software stiching it together will make it more responsive (see: rig in sig, running a 2080ti FE for now).

I ran 3x30" Dell 3007WFP-HC's for many years. I tried some other solutions in between then and now. Today, I'm running a single 3440x1440 display. It's great most of the time, but a second monitor would be nice. My OCD would require me getting the same type of monitor to match, but there are desk considerations if I do that.

Identical monitors in a triple setup is something I have always wanted but never really put the energy into it.

I ran 3x30" Dell 3007WFP-HC's for many years. I tried some other solutions in between then and now. Today, I'm running a single 3440x1440 display. It's great most of the time, but a second monitor would be nice. My OCD would require me getting the same type of monitor to match, but there are desk considerations if I do that.

I used something called tidy tabs along with another piece of software that went along side. It allowed me to do basically the samething I imagine the software you are using allows. Divide a monitor into sections so Windows can snap into place without much time or thinking involved.

Cheaper than the Lian li desk I'll put it on!

Also, to put in perspective, I paid 300 each for my 3 screens 7 years ago and about 150 for the triple head stand, so it's really not out of line for pricing.

I've been running 3x 1920x1200 screens since Eyefinity was first a thing (circa 2008-2009). I've always run as a single 5760x1200 desktop space and it really isn't that bad of an experience to keep things in various places. I do have display fusion now and that adds a few more tricks to it.

At this point, I'm finding Nvidia surround feels buggy in a few ways and the system drags at the desktop. I'm hoping a monitor running the specific resolution instead of software stiching it together will make it more responsive (see: rig in sig, running a 2080ti FE for now).

Triple displays are great for productivity. For gaming, not so much.

Become a Patron!
Back