New Star Trek Series Going into Production Featuring the Enterprise with Captain Pike Gets Official Title

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Star-Trek-Enterprise-Space-Dock-1024x576.jpg

Image: CBS All Access

In season two of Star Trek Discovery, we saw the return of an iconic staple of Star Trek. The famed starship NCC-1701 Enterprise made its first small-screen appearance on CBS All Access. Following in the footsteps of the J.J. Abrams 2009 Star Trek film it featured James T. Kirk’s predecessor Captain Christopher Pike. This time around the character was portrayed by Anson Mount and a few other familiar bridge crew were also introduced. Since then rumors abounded that this incarnation of the Enterprise would see its own series debut.

Star-Trek-Enterprise-Captain-Pike-1024x576.jpg

Image: CBS All Access

Well, the rumors have been confirmed. Through the perseverance of Giant Freakin Robot,...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Modern Star Trek has been an absolute dumpster fire of identity politics and social justice bullshit. It distorts the themes that were staples of the franchise and twists them to push an obvious agenda. One thing that made Star Trek special was that it at least tried to ground itself in the scientific understanding of the times each show aired in. Since midway through Voyager, that's not been the case and Discovery not only abandons any pretense of grounding itself in science fact, but it doesn't give two squirts of piss about continuity or Star Trek canon.

It's garbage. However, Anson Mount's iteration of Captain Pike was something that certainly made the show a little better. The actor's performance and portrayal of the legacy character is especially noteworthy. Despite being on a ship with literally more than one Mary Sue, he manages to hold his own most of the time. Recasting character's is difficult to do. but I think the actor nails it under extremely difficult circumstances. His portrayal of Pike is certainly better than Bruce Greenwood's in the films. To that actor's credit, I think he did a reasonably good job as well with scripts that were almost as bad.

I'll give it a shot when it comes out, but modern Trek has beaten all of the hope out of me that Star Trek's will return to form. I can appreciate the increased action, but not at the cost of good stories grounded in something that's at least reality-adjacent.

Last edited:
I do like Anson Mount's acting style. He was awesome in Hell on Wheels.

I don't know that I have seen him in anything prior to Star Trek Discovery.

Never really been a Trek fan, mainly because I was never able to hit any of the series in their prime and they just don't hold up long for me. I am a fan of Anson Mount though, I came back to the second season specifically because he was cast as Pike. I'm enjoying it for what it is and I'll likely check out Enterprise though I do agree with Dan about the severe amount of social justice bullshit. Unfortunately that just seems to be the current state of the entertainment industry and the average and below writers that overwhelm the industry.

A good writer understands when and where politics belong and how to incorporate it without being preachy or a whiny little bitch.

Network television has no good writers.

When the COVID restrictions started we took a chance on CBS all access. At that point, there were 2 seasons of Discovery, and Picard had just finished a little while before that. Watched all of it. My expectations for most things have been beaten into submission over the last 10-20 years. Reboots, Rewrites, Recasts, Reinterpretations, have all pretty much decimated most high bars I would've held things to in my youth. I'm re-d out. Having said all that my wife and I more or less enjoyed both shows. I've got complaints about each, but not for the same reasons, and there are things that I like about each. The obvious agendas do get on my nerves as do the repeated close-ups of Burham's open gaping mouth and stressed out face. If it was a drinking game most would pass out in the first 10 minutes of some episodes. At first, I hated the Klingons but eventually, they got to be pretty interesting.

I thought Anson's portrayal brought it to another level. I'm looking forward to this and hoping they take Trek back to exploration again. There were a few moments in Discovery but they were short-lived. Something we're both sick of is how modern Trek(TNG on) seems to always fall back on political war and strife storylines that span seasons. It gets old. Now and then is one thing but it really shows a lack of imagination when each newly introduced race becomes a plot mechanism to begin a new war story. I strongly recommend to anyone that is a fan of the original series to check out Star Trek Continues. Sure it was a little rough around the edges but overall we both really felt it captured that spirit of exploration.

Never really been a Trek fan, mainly because I was never able to hit any of the series in their prime and they just don't hold up long for me. I am a fan of Anson Mount though, I came back to the second season specifically because he was cast as Pike. I'm enjoying it for what it is and I'll likely check out Enterprise though I do agree with Dan about the severe amount of social justice bullshit. Unfortunately that just seems to be the current state of the entertainment industry and the average and below writers that overwhelm the industry.

A good writer understands when and where politics belong and how to incorporate it without being preachy or a whiny little bitch.

Network television has no good writers.

Star Trek has always been progressive. The idealism in the show and the fantasy of it makes that kind of thing work in a way it doesn't in our world. It was also done with subtlety and finesse. These are things totally lost on these inexperienced diversity hires that propagate Hollywood right now. Star Trek is the perfect avenue to incorporate progressive ideology but it takes a deft hand to do it in a way which isn't preachy, overbearing or boring. The Orville provides an example of how to do it correctly. In some respects, its actually better than Star Trek was at it. Modern Trek hits you with a sledgehammer and tries to beat its message into you in a way that's heavy handed, amateurish, and worst of all, far from entertaining.

I don't know that network television is devoid of good writers. What I would agree with is that there aren't any experienced or qualified writers working on any popular, long standing science fiction franchises today. The evidence for that is pretty clear.

I love The Orville. It does include some SJW crap, but it does it in a way that appealing. Like TNG. Seriously, McFarlane should be directing a Trek film. The man is genius. I'd love to see him directing a more serious film.

We loved The Orville too. I would even stream to our projector and watch on the wall because it was such fun Sci-Fi to watch. It was one of the first show in years that brought back that excitement of sitting down for a new weekly episode like back during the 1st season of TNG. That's not too surprising though since there's a number of ex-TNG people behind the camera and a few Trek alum that even guested on some episodes. It's been depressing watching season three prospects slowly disintegrate into nothingness. It could still come back but even before COVID-19, it was getting pushed back farther and farther.

I'm sure as we get closer to production we'll post an updated story on it but since this one was posted just a couple of days ago it seems redundant to post this latest development. I updated the story this morning to reflect that an official title has now been given. It will be called "Strange New Worlds".

Here's a nice read from Variety that gives me a lot of hope for it and that it may indeed be going back to the roots of the original 1966 show.
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-spock-pike-episodic-1234608181/

Become a Patron!
Back