AMD Beats NVIDIA for “Best GPU” at European Hardware Awards 2020

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-radeon-5600-xt-side-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

The European Hardware Association (EHA) has announced its victors for this year’s European Hardware Awards. One of the biggest winners, perhaps unsurprisingly, is AMD, which managed to win not only “Best CPU” (Ryzen 9 3950x), but “Best GPU” as well (Navi 10/Radeon RX 5700 XT).

european-hardware-awards-2020-best-cpu-amd-ryzen-9-3950x.png
european-hardware-awards-2020-best-gpu-amd-navi-10-radeon-rx-5700-xt.png

You can check out the complete list of finalists in the link below, but red team managed to outrank the likes of NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER. Clearly, performance was not the only factor that was considered...

Continue reading...

AMD winning best GPU seems legit.......

I tried clicking around a bit but couldn't find their methodology behind the rewards, seems to just be a survey/vote system. If it was a reward for the Navi 10 architecture in general, sure I could see their reasoning; But to be the best GPU out there when RTX 2080 TI is still at the top - I dunno.

I tried clicking around a bit but couldn't find their methodology behind the rewards, seems to just be a survey/vote system. If it was a reward for the Navi 10 architecture in general, sure I could see their reasoning; But to be the best GPU out there when RTX 2080 TI is still at the top - I dunno.

If there was some price/performance calculation in there that made it a better buy than something else, I could see the award as a "best value" winner. On the basis of performance alone, it hardly seems right when so many NVIDIA cards are faster than any Navi based options currently on the market.

If there was some price/performance calculation in there that made it a better buy than something else, I could see the award as a "best value" winner. On the basis of performance alone, it hardly seems right when so many NVIDIA cards are faster than any Navi based options currently on the market.
I have to agree. I would dearly like to say that AMD is doing well on the GPU front but it's simply not true yet. Sure, they have a nice niche on the lower tier but once you get beyond that it, the numbers quickly speak for themselves.

Here's hoping for "Big Navi", even if it only narrowly beats a 2080 Ti.

Take purchase stats in to account and you'll see that the majority of people don't buy top end GPU's. So that puts the 5700XT in to a category where it wins. At least on a price to performance scale.

Take purchase stats in to account and you'll see that the majority of people don't buy top end GPU's. So that puts the 5700XT in to a category where it wins. At least on a price to performance scale.
There's some truth there for sure. Both companies often report their consumer bread and butter usually comes from low/mid tiers. That's also where the most competition is. Even before this European award I've seen numerous stories about how AMD just trounces most everyone else in Europe as well. They love AMD across the pond. AMD gets used in a lot of high-end data center research type applications over there as well.

Become a Patron!
Back