Garth Davis to Direct Next Tron Movie

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Tron-Legacy-1024x576.jpg
Image: Disney

The next Tron movie is edging closer to full production. It has been ten years since the last one, which meagerly reached a profitable status for Disney. At one point, a sequel was considered but then quickly shelved after Disney went full steam ahead with more Pirates of the Caribbean, live-action adaptations, and its newly acquired Marvel and Star Wars franchises. Considering the billions made there, the math is not hard to compare, even with some of the other projects that didn’t do so well then. By 2015, official word came out that no sequel would be made.

Well, in July, we started to hear that a new project was in the works. Jared Leto had been reported as taking on a lead role for what is tentatively being referred to as Tron 3...

Continue reading...

Wow, just let it rest in peace already. Legacy was nothing but a low quality remake of the original, and I would expect nothing else from a third installment with Disney trying to recapture the magic of the original.

Legacy is a beautiful looking (well, except for bobblehead Clu) and sounding movie with an awesome Daft Punk soundtrack to boot (I have had it in my car for a while). What it was lacking was a good script. It had some good ideas but lacked vision. It is not the disaster everyone makes it out to be. Sometimes it's nice to just turn off your brain and look at pretty things. It was better than any of the new Star Wars trilogy, or any of the stupid CGI Transformers movies (not Disney I know, but you get the point).

Hopefully they can get a better script going with this one.

So if you haven't watched Tron Legacy yet, do yourself a favor and find a good quality version to watch (pick your service of choice), turn off all the lights, turn the stereo way up, make a huge stiff drink or some 420 and kick back and enjoy. Don't think about it too much. And don't stare at Clu's head too much. If nothing else, watch the game grid parts/lightcycle, and the club scene. Yeah the ending is bad. Yeah some of the dialog makes your brain cringe. Power through it.

Legacy is a beautiful looking (well, except for bobblehead Clu) and sounding movie with an awesome Daft Punk soundtrack to boot (I have had it in my car for a while). What it was lacking was a good script. It had some good ideas but lacked vision. It is not the disaster everyone makes it out to be. Sometimes it's nice to just turn off your brain and look at pretty things. It was better than any of the new Star Wars trilogy, or any of the stupid CGI Transformers movies (not Disney I know, but you get the point).

Hopefully they can get a better script going with this one.

So if you haven't watched Tron Legacy yet, do yourself a favor and find a good quality version to watch (pick your service of choice), turn off all the lights, turn the stereo way up, make a huge stiff drink or some 420 and kick back and enjoy. Don't think about it too much. And don't stare at Clu's head too much. If nothing else, watch the game grid parts/lightcycle, and the club scene. Yeah the ending is bad. Yeah some of the dialog makes your brain cringe. Power through it.
I like it in parts. Actually have it in 3D(with Imax footage) and it's a blast to watch on our wall. That along with the soundtrack really helps carry it. There's some wasted moments but overall me and my are both able to enjoy it. Never played Tron 2.0 but I read a number of reviews saying that game told the overall story in a better way.

Never saw the last one. IT lacked the magic of the first Tron movie.
I doubt anyone will ever be able to pull that off again. It's one of those you had to be there moments in time with digital really taking a foothold in mainstream media. No sequel will be able to pull that off until we get some interactive holograms or something and even then that's doubtful.

Erm. How would you know if you never saw it?

"Never read the book. The cover wasn't interesting enough."

Part of the magic I suppose is the want to discover. And it doesn't have thst for me. Cyberpunk 2077 as an example has the magic and will have to be very bad for me to dislike it at this point because I'm ready to accept it.

I saw Tron Legacy in 3D in theaters with my wife and daughter .. I was disappointed with the 3D aspect of it and don't remember the story line .. but it made me get real disenchanted with the whole 3D theater thing ...

...that is until I went and saw Guardians of the Galaxy in 3D ... wow!

I saw Tron Legacy in 3D in theaters with my wife and daughter .. I was disappointed with the 3D aspect of it and don't remember the story line .. but it made me get real disenchanted with the whole 3D theater thing ...

...that is until I went and saw Guardians of the Galaxy in 3D ... wow!
I admit some of the 3d effects we not as good as they should have been but the Imax stuff has a wow factor. Always bugged me how Disney/Marvel often only released those cuts in 3d but you can always switch it off to enjoy for the ones where the depth effects are not important. Totally agree on Guardians. We saw that at a late showing(opening week) with like 10 people in the theater. It was awesome!

They lost me at - "Jared Leto had been reported as taking on a lead role".
I know it's petty, but I just can't stand him in anything.

Become a Patron!
Back