CD PROJEKT RED Offering Free DLC for Cyberpunk 2077

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
cyberpunk-2077-cover-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: CD PROJEKT RED

CD PROJEKT RED has confirmed that Cyberpunk 2077 will be getting free DLC after it launches later this year. This isn’t exactly surprising, since the Polish developer’s last blockbuster, Witcher 3, offered something similar – but it’s great news in an industry where most companies are trying to nickel and dime gamers at every corner.

We’re not sure if all of Cyberpunk 2077’s DLC content will be free, though. If you’ll remember, Witcher 3 had two big expansions – Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine – that cost $9.99 and $19.99, respectively. We’re assuming that CD PROJEKT RED will do something similar with Cyberpunk 2077, offering a healthy portion of smaller DLC packs alongside major, paid story expansions.

Cyberpunk 2077 will be released for the PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4...

Continue reading...

More reasons why you can't help but love CD Projekt Red. I've always liked them as a company, but the Witcher games aren't really my thing.

I am SO looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077. Like almost too much. ;)

I generally don't like DLC that changes what happened during the story arc of the game. Unless it adds side quests or something that can be done after the main story line is completed without breaking immersion too much.

I am SO looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077. Like almost too much. ;)

I generally don't like DLC that changes what happened during the story arc of the game. Unless it adds side quests or something that can be done after the main story line is completed without breaking immersion too much.
I expect this to be nothing more than what they did with W3. Additional hair styles, alternative characters look, couple pieces of guns and armor... really, just a bunch of cosmetic stuff that's probably already in the game anyway. It's free marketing, and it makes them look good.

I don't think they need fake free DLC to make themselves look good. I'm not the biggest witcher fan to say the least, but I'm also looking forward to this game. The less it's like the witcher, the better.

I will wait to see how this plays out in reality before giving them any undue praise. But from this early impression it seems like a decent thing to do.

Content updates for games after release leads to player retention. What's weird is how CD Projekt Red does this without the games having additional monetization beyond larger expansions. It's a business model that's obviously worked for the company as the Witcher series has been extremely successful.

Become a Patron!
Back