NVIDIA’s Ampere RTX 3090, RTX 3080 and RTX 3070 Launch Announcement

David_Schroth

Administrator
Staff member
image-2-2-1024x562.jpg

NVIDIA’s September 1, 2020 special event is upon us (after being teased last month) and we’ve watched the broadcast to summarize all of the new announcements. Jensen Huang hosted as they moved through each of the innovations that are being publicized today which includes the launch of the RTX 3090, RTX 3080 and RTX 3070 GPUs in the Ampere family. You can watch the entire announcement below:

RTX 3090

image-2-3-1024x545.jpg

The GeForce RTX 3090 takes the king of the hill crown as the Ampere generation Titan card. It sports 10496 CUDA Cores, 36 Shader-TFLOPS, 69-RT-TFLOPS, 285 Tensor-TFLOPS and 24GB of GDDR6X running at a boost clock of 1.7GHz using a...

Continue reading...

I tuned out of the stream when they immediately started with fortnite. Then completely forgot about it, so I never went back.

I laughed out loud when I saw the 3090 in Jensen's hands. I knew it was going to be big, but actually seeing it was unexpected. It is comically large.
Kind of feels like there's a role reversal happening. GPUs have always been considered an accessory but seeing one of those in a case on anything less than an EATX seems like everything else is the accessory plugged into the card.

I have to imagine that the actual card is considerably smaller than the case and cooling. A waterblock will bring it back down to a reasonable size.

I have to imagine that the actual card is considerably smaller than the case and cooling. A waterblock will bring it back down to a reasonable size.
I'm sure you're right but somehow it just sounds like the plight of Sisyphus.

Why is the logo upside down on Fonzie Jensen's 3090?

Now that's **** interesting. 699 for the 3080 is a very welcome surprise. I just wonder if AMD will have something competitive with it.

But it's not? It's oriented that way so you can clearly read it when it's mounted in your PC.

Look at the logo in the 2nd pic. It's opposite of what he's holding. I mean, maybe's he holding a mockup, or the promo graphic is wrong. But one of them is wrong.

edit - ok now zoom in on what he's holding. The PCI-E slot/edge/whatever has no fingers/pins/electrical contacts. So that is a mockup.

Look at the logo in the 2nd pic. It's opposite of what he's holding. I mean, maybe's he holding a mockup, or the promo graphic is wrong. But one of them is wrong.

edit - ok now zoom in on what he's holding. The PCI-E slot/edge/whatever has no fingers/pins/electrical contacts. So that is a mockup.

It was probably too heavy for him to comfortably hold up for the length of his presentation.

It's also a Windows snipping tool screen grab of a Youtube/Twitch video stream....

I am convinced there will be a 3080 Ti version come the first of the year.
That 3090 is a halo and simply the Titan in disguise.
There is simply too much room between the 3080 and 3090.
A GPU with 16 GB selling at about 995 would be the spot. 300 dollars away from each of the others more or less.
Nvidia will drop that squarely on Big Navi's head and turn out the lights.

Im in no rush, so am anxious to see testing and waterblocks.
I cant begin to imagine the amount of copper it will take to cover the 3090, not to mention the weight.

I am convinced there will be a 3080 Ti version come the first of the year.
That 3090 is a halo and simply the Titan in disguise.
There is simply too much room between the 3080 and 3090.
A GPU with 16 GB selling at about 995 would be the spot. 300 dollars away from each of the others more or less.
Nvidia will drop that squarely on Big Navi's head and turn out the lights.

Im in no rush, so am anxious to see testing and waterblocks.
I cant begin to imagine the amount of copper it will take to cover the 3090, not to mention the weight.
Lenovo was spotted having a 3070 Ti listed for their Legion T7 line of prebuilts, having 16GB of VRAM. It's easy to imagine that NVIDIA will drop a 3080 Ti, too, with 20GB of VRAM. They love taking the air out of AMD and their reveals.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-ti-spotted-with-16gb-gddr6-memory

Yeah, I think a 3080Ti at $1000 will be the deal.

If not I'll just angrily order a 3090.

Yeah, I think a 3080Ti at $1000 will be the deal.

If not I'll just angrily order a 3090.

I would love a 3080Ti, but with the prices over here beeing what they are it would be too much, current 2080Ti's go for 1300+ € so a 3090 would definitely be out of the question for the price of one of those one could buy a PS5, Xbox series X and one of the rumoured new switches and have money left over for a couple of games :p.

Become a Patron!
Back