Nintendo Announces Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy Remasters for Switch

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
super-mario-3d-all-stars-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: Nintendo

Nintendo is celebrating the 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. with a ton of new Mario games. The highlight is Super Mario 3D All-Stars, which comprises remasters of Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy for the Nintendo Switch. We’re not sure how they’ve been improved, exactly (Nintendo only used the word “optimized”), but the collection will be available to buy starting on September 18. Unfortunately, this appears to be a limited release – Mario fans may no longer be able to get a copy after March 31, 2021.

We’ve copied Nintendo’s complete Mario lineup below. “Let’s-a go!”

UPDATE: According to...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking forward to the release (my five year old likes to watch me play the Mario games).

However, a bit disappointed by the 'optimization', was hoping for a full 2D Super Mario All-Stars-style collection. All new assets, etc. Mario 64 in particular could use a new coat of paint.

Why are they only selling 3D All-Stars for 6 months? Now I remember why I haven't wanted to purchase a Nintendo console since the Wii... In my opinion Nintendo forfeits their right to complain about emulation, jailbreaking, and hacking/homebrew with stunts like this.

Why are they only selling 3D All-Stars for 6 months? Now I remember why I haven't wanted to purchase a Nintendo console since the Wii... In my opinion Nintendo forfeits their right to complain about emulation, jailbreaking, and hacking/homebrew with stunts like this.

Not sure, might be some sort of collector's box (I think they did the same thing for All-stars on the Wii). I hope they don't mean the games will no longer be available for purchase after 6 months (digitally or otherwise).

Also, that Super Mario Brs 35 looks like a good time.

Not sure, might be some sort of collector's box (I think they did the same thing for All-stars on the Wii). I hope they don't mean the games will no longer be available for purchase after 6 months (digitally or otherwise).

Also, that Super Mario Brs 35 looks like a good time.
They really scored a hit with Tetris 99, so I'm excited to see how this is going to play when it gets into peoples' hands.

Widescreen and higher res is nice, but what I'd really like is SM64 and SMSunshine running at 60fps. I believe I heard that SM64 runs at 60fps on the Wii U port for modded Wii Us (which is based off the recent Windows port, I think I read). None of the Switch controllers, such as the Switch Pro Controller, have analog triggers or shoulder buttons, so I'm wondering how using the FLUDD in SMSunshine is gonna work. I guess we just won't have analog control with the spraying/squirting. I was also hoping that SM64 would get the extra content, playable characters, and improved textures of the DS version, but I guess not. Surprised SMGalaxy 2 wasn't also thrown in. And what the ****, not even full 1080p for SM64?!

Widescreen and higher res is nice, but what I'd really like is SM64 and SMSunshine running at 60fps. I believe I heard that SM64 runs at 60fps on the Wii U port for modded Wii Us (which is based off the recent Windows port, I think I read). None of the Switch controllers, such as the Switch Pro Controller, have analog triggers or shoulder buttons, so I'm wondering how using the FLUDD in SMSunshine is gonna work. I guess we just won't have analog control with the spraying/squirting. I was also hoping that SM64 would get the extra content, playable characters, and improved textures of the DS version, but I guess not. Surprised SMGalaxy 2 wasn't also thrown in. And what the ****, not even full 1080p for SM64?!
960x720 is an integer factor of 9 from the original resolution of 320x240. Full HD is not an integer scale from the original resolution. Likewise, Sunshine running at 1280x720 (Half HD) is an integer factor of 3 from the original 640x480 resolution while Full HD is not.

Yeah, I was hoping for at least the DS improved textures for SM64. Maybe the original All-Stars spoiled me, but I was looking forward to an overhaul of SM64.

As for SMG2, I'm still half expecting them to announce the game's part of the package. Perhaps unlocked after completing SMG1. Even on the packaging, it looks like there's room for another title.

Just saw on the eStore they're going to charge $79.99 CAD for this collection. Crazy. I was expecting at most $49.99 CAD, especially since they appear to be fairly straight forward ports.

Last edited:
Just saw on the eStore they're going to charge $79.99 CAD for this collection. Crazy. I was expecting at most $49.99 CAD, especially since they appear to be fairly straight forward ports.

It's the NintendTax

Yeah, I was hoping for at least the DS improved textures for SM64. Maybe the original All-Stars spoiled me, but I was looking forward to an overhaul of SM64.

As for SMG2, I'm still half expecting them to announce the game's part of the package. Perhaps unlocked after completing SMG1. Even on the packaging, it looks like there's room for another title.

The Canadian dollar has not been doing well in recent years. It's been hovering around $0.75 USD for the past 5 years, so $80 CAD would be $60 USD which is what it is going for in the US. Still, seems steep for a collection of old games like this that basically just had their resolution increased.

The Canadian dollar has not been doing well in recent years. It's been hovering around $0.75 USD for the past 5 years, so $80 CAD would be $60 USD which is what it is going for in the US. Still, seems steep for a collection of old games like this that basically just had their resolution increased.

Yar, $79.99 CAD is our new game price. I'm just surprised that Nintendo is charging this much for the re-releases. But I guess I shouldn't be, as they charged full new price for the Wii U re-releases as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm whining about the price, but I'll still pay it.

Very disappointing from them. Seems like the bean counters designed a "game".

Become a Patron!
Back