Cryptominers Already Lining Up for NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series?

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-angled-close-up-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

Prospective GeForce RTX 30 Series owners may have more to worry about than like-minded enthusiasts and scalper bots on launch day. Users on China’s Baidu forums (via Tom’s Hardware) have begun showing off their shipments of GeForce RTX 3080 graphics cards, one of whom has set up cryptomining rigs with NVIDIA’s newest flagship already. Its hash rate supposedly exceeds other GPUs by as much as four times, which means that it could be very popular in mining circles.

“According to one miner’s claims, the GeForce RTX 3080 reportedly boasts a hashrate that is 3 to 4X that of the GeForce RTX 2080’s hashrate, which is generally between 35 and 40 MH/s, depending on the...

Continue reading...

Seriously wish that market would fully fall out and bankrupt these jerks. Ought to be really interesting when the updated power reports start rolling in too. I saw some shocking stories in the last year about how much mining is drawing on a global scale. Not saying I haven't considered doing it myself but I am truly sick of how it affects the supply chains for cards and other components.

What? ... Has the card even been reviewed properly? How is is that 'shipments ' are already being used for mining. Just a guess its worth using them or something, I suppose.

What? ... Has the card even been reviewed properly? How is is that 'shipments ' are already being used for mining. Just a guess its worth using them or something, I suppose.

Manufacturers have to build launch inventory, and ship it to retailers.

It's China. NDA's and contracts mean absolutely nothing. If someone has a connection they can bribe they can easily buy **** before launch.

Well, looks like Nvidias launch is thin at best... Seems it will be made even worse by this.
AMD can do better if they have a real launch with plenty of inventory. Considering how long they have taken, it should be a big launch... But who knows.

It's high time environmentalists woke up to the menace that is ( name a large scale human activity).
Gave it a little tweak. Crypto is neither here or there.. feels pointless to single out a specific activity when there is so many to choose from.

Gave it a little tweak. Crypto is neither here or there.. feels pointless to single out a specific activity when there is so many to choose from.
No, the only activity that produces nothing of value is crypto. It has no viable end product. It's turning electricity into monopoly money. Every other human activity has a purpose. The only purpose of crypto is to waste energy and syphon away goods from actual meaningful tasks. Yes, even gaming is more meaningful as entertainment is an important building block of society. But there are other fields that need GPUs, like engineers, scientific research, and so on. Oh but wait you can't do cancer research because someone over here needs to produce more monopoly monies! It's absolutely pathetic, and everyone who makes excuses for crypto should be ashamed. It's one thing to be greedy and disregard environmental consequences for short term minuscule gains, just don't try to rationalize it.

No, the only activity that produces nothing of value is crypto. It has no viable end product. It's turning electricity into monopoly money. Every other human activity has a purpose. The only purpose of crypto is to waste energy and syphon away goods from actual meaningful tasks. Yes, even gaming is more meaningful as entertainment is an important building block of society. But there are other fields that need GPUs, like engineers, scientific research, and so on. Oh but wait you can't do cancer research because someone over here needs to produce more monopoly monies! It's absolutely pathetic, and everyone who makes excuses for crypto should be ashamed. It's one thing to be greedy and disregard environmental consequences for short term minuscule gains, just don't try to rationalize it.

Value is your opinion, and everyone else's. If I make rubber dog **** and only 1 person buys it, it has value. Crypto is no different. It's traded for real money, therefore it has value.

And no one cares about the environment. Do you eat, drive, wipe your ***, post on forums, brush your teeth, shower? Oh, yeah, you do? Then you don't give a **** about the environment either. The only thing you're giving a **** about is your own personal interest in being able to buy a product without the added possibility of someone else buying the same product for a different reason.

You're high horse. Get off it.

The difference with crypto is that everything about it could be done another way than by just turning electricity into heat. The fact it is to create a market with a value that can be double, triples, or nearly wiped out by any existing bank simply deciding to manipulate it. As what it is supposed to be, it seems to fail at most of its supposed goals.

Environmentalism aside, Crypto is a cesspool of fraud, pump and dump schemes, wishful thinking and gambling addicts really without any upsides what so ever except personal greed of the scammers that try to make it happen.

Their sole promise was to promote anonymous electronic payments, and just about all of them fail even at that. None of the crypto initiatives out there will ever be mainstream currencies. They seemingly exist solely to defraud novice investors out of their money.

Fraud schemes like that of BitConnect are the norm, the entire point of crypto, not the exception. All things crypto are not just morally ambiguous, it's all scum all the time.

The world would be a better place if they would all die in a fire.

Son. Of. A. BITCH. So ****ing sick of these gawd-**** cryptocurrency miners. In my younger days I never could have imagined that in the future we would be seeing something like the crypto-mining plagues we've had to experience in recent GPU generations. Also makes me sad to see good gaming GPUs going to waste as mining workhorses. That's no way for a graphics card to live its life. Graphics cards should only be available to the customers who will use them for their proper intended purposes, especially when stock is low to begin with. It's one thing when people can't get graphics cards because the manufacturers didn't make enough. But when you can't get a GPU because all the stock is being bought up by ****ing miners, that's just some nonsensical-*** bullshit that we shouldn't have ever had to deal with in the first place. It's a problem that shouldn't exist. I think I prefer people hoarding stock to flip cards over miners buying them up. I know the GPU manufacturers don't care though, since they make bank either way.

The same could be said about ANY product that has limited quantities on release. I can't even order a 2021 Ram TRX because they're sold out. And most of them will sit in the garage of some d-bag and never driven. Or some soccer mom will be driving one for her weekly grocery pick up.

Clearly those are not the intended reasons for owning a TRX. And those people shouldn't be allowed to buy one.

See how f'in retarded that sounds?

This is America, chumps. And it's none yo gawd danged bidness what someone does with the products they purchase.

I can't even order a 2021 Ram TRX because they're sold out.
Not to derail the thread, but I'd ****ing love one of those, and I'm not even a truck guy. Especially since the current-gen Raptors have been kinda disappointing to me. The new Bronco, if you try to get one now, you won't see yours until 2022.

Clearly those are not the intended reasons for owning a TRX. And those people shouldn't be allowed to buy one.

See how f'in retarded that sounds?
Hahaha it actually doesn't sound retarded to me!

...it's none yo gawd danged bidness what someone does with the products they purchase
Now this I do fully agree with.

This is America, chumps. And it's none yo gawd danged bidness what someone does with the products they purchase

I agree with that sentiment in general, though an argument can be made for everything crypto just being a giant ponzi scheme, and thus fraudulent, and fraud being illegal and all.

What the liked of Nvidia and AMD should do is what they did back in the day with their Quadros. The only thing the Quadro did that the normal GPU didn't was hardware antiaöiased lines, which the regular GPU didn't support.

If you needed hardware antialiased lines (for instance for CAD) you had to buy a Quadro, and the price went up by like a factor of 5.

Something similar should be done for mining on current GPU's. Sabotage hash rates in the driver and sell a special miners edition for $10k. :p

I agree with that sentiment in general, though an argument can be made for everything crypto just being a giant ponzi scheme, and thus fraudulent, and fraud being illegal and all.

What the liked of Nvidia and AMD should do is what they did back in the day with their Quadros. The only thing the Quadro did that the normal GPU didn't was hardware antiaöiased lines, which the regular GPU didn't support.

If you needed hardware antialiased lines (for instance for CAD) you had to buy a Quadro, and the price went up by like a factor of 5.

Something similar should be done for mining on current GPU's. Sabotage hash rates in the driver and sell a special miners edition for $10k. :p

AMD and Nvidia both made mining only cards. So did some third party companies in China.

Value is your opinion, and everyone else's. If I make rubber dog **** and only 1 person buys it, it has value. Crypto is no different. It's traded for real money, therefore it has value.
You are completely missing the point. 'Real' money is not a product that you can manufacture at home. It is given in exchange for a service or goods. Value is what is valuable to society. It's not what I determine to be valuable. When you mine crypto you don't provide anything. It's not that it's not useful, it's detrimental.

And no one cares about the environment. Do you eat, drive, wipe your ***, post on forums, brush your teeth, shower? Oh, yeah, you do? Then you don't give a **** about the environment either.
Those are all end products with a purpose. You know having a clean ***, is beneficial to society, a lot of plagues can spread with feces, and you want everyone to walk around smelling like ****? Posting on forum, has the benefit of exchanging information, and even the opportunity to spread some sense, at least to those who care to listen.

The only thing you're giving a **** about is your own personal interest in being able to buy a product without the added possibility of someone else buying the same product for a different reason.
That's your own projection. I don't even intend to buy 30xx series. The 3070 is a sidegrade, the 3080 has not enough VRAM, the 3090 is too big to fit in my case. I'm truly concerned about crypto, even if you can't believe that someone would be concerned about more than their own short term gains.

You're high horse. Get off it.
And don't call me a horse. :)

Become a Patron!
Back