ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 Listed for $1,799

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
asus-rog-strix-geforce-rtx-3090-flipped-1024x576.jpg
Image: ASUS

NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 3090 is a monstrous, 8K-gaming-capable “BFGPU” that costs $1,499. That’s already an insane price for most of us, but ASUS is making Jensen hold its beer with the ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 – a custom, overclocked variant that foregoes NVIDIA’s cutting-edge cooler with a more typical axial-fan configuration and power-heavy design.

According to Best Buy, which appears to be the first retailer with legit pricing information, ASUS wants you to pay $1,799 for the beastly, RGB-infused alternative. A quick glance suggests that this will be one of the more expensive GeForce...

Continue reading...

Looks about on par with what I've been seeing from different retailers. B&HPhoto lists 3090's anywhere from $1499 (Zotac) to $1901 (MSI).

I'm really tempted to get one, but I just can't think of a single (justifiable) reason to get one over 3080... especially considering it's double the cost...

What shocks me is that Best Buy is listing these. Typically, they don't offer top tier cards at launch. I know because I've been checking since every launch since before Maxwell. Occasionally you might find one of the cheaper x80 Ti models but usually not the most expensive ones. Either way, I just put it to notify me when they've got 'em. It's the price I was expecting and been saving for over a year for it. Usually, I have to source my GPUs from either NewEgg or Amazon.

What shocks me is that Best Buy is listing these. Typically, they don't offer top tier cards at launch. I know because I've been checking since every launch since before Maxwell. Occasionally you might find one of the cheaper x80 Ti models but usually not the most expensive ones. Either way, I just put it to notify me when they've got 'em. It's the price I was expecting and been saving for over a year for it. Usually, I have to source my GPUs from either NewEgg or Amazon.
It's actually usually easier to get a video card from Best Buy than anywhere else because PC enthusiasts typically don't shop there. I actually had planned to just walk into my local Best Buy next Thursday to see if I can grab one off the shelf.

It's actually usually easier to get a video card from Best Buy than anywhere else because PC enthusiasts typically don't shop there. I actually had planned to just walk into my local Best Buy next Thursday to see if I can grab one off the shelf.
I might do the same. Unfortunately, where I live, that store is treated like the red-headed-stepchild no one wants and often the corporate overlords don't send much of anything to them. Pretty much any kind of pinnacle tech is withheld from them. T.V's, monitors, cards, you name it. Over time they get them but by then its usually months later. Occasional exceptions for sure but definitely not the norm. Typical experience for me is to walk in, not find what the site said was in stock, track an associate down, and their 1st response is "have you tried online?". Couldn't tell you how many thousands they've lost from me in the last decade because of that. I've had numerous conversations with upper management over the years, gotten some nice gift cards for the time, but unfortunately their selection is often only marginally better than the local Walmart. :(

I'll let you know how it goes. This kind of thing absolutely ends up on the list of things I want to be wrong about. I get so jealous of all the stories people tell about walking into their local Microcenter for great deals. We really need one here. BB has no direct competition and doesn't care because of it. Years ago, when Circuit City, and a few others still existed, it was a great place to. After they all closed, things changed for the worse.

edit: I will say, just so it's not all doom 'n' gloom, I did have a nice 1st last year. That's where I go my LG-C9 65". They matched Amazon, delivered it, and for a small fee took a really old Phillips LCD. It was a good experience. The year before that I had to order my Z9D online beause they didn't have it in stock but I was able to have it delivered to the store for p/u.

Last edited:
I might do the same. Unfortunately, where I live, that store is treated like the red-headed-stepchild no one wants and often the corporate overlords don't send much of anything to them. Pretty much any kind of pinnacle tech is withheld from them. T.V's, monitors, cards, you name it. Over time they get them but by then its usually months later. Occasional exceptions for sure but definitely not the norm. Typical experience for me is to walk in, not find what the site said was in stock, track an associate down, and their 1st response is "have you tried online?". Couldn't tell you how many thousands they've lost from me in the last decade because of that. I've had numerous conversations with upper management over the years, gotten some nice gift cards for the time, but unfortunately their selection is often only marginally better than the local Walmart. :(

I'll let you know how it goes. This kind of thing absolutely ends up on the list of things I want to be wrong about. I get so jealous of all the stories people tell about walking into their local Microcenter for great deals. We really need one here. BB has no direct competition and doesn't care because of it. Years ago, when Circuit City, and a few others still existed, it was a great place to. After they all closed, things changed for the worse.

edit: I will say, just so it's not all doom 'n' gloom, I did have a nice 1st last year. That's where I go my LG-C9 65". They matched Amazon, delivered it, and for a small fee took a really old Phillips LCD. It was a good experience. The year before that I had to order my Z9D online beause they didn't have it in stock but I was able to have it delivered to the store for p/u.
I'm taking the day off next Thursday to see how it goes when they open in the morning. If they're not in-store I will ask about it and report back my experience. I know my local store carries 2080 Ti on the shelves, though.

This kind of thing absolutely ends up on the list of things I want to be wrong about. I get so jealous of all the stories people tell about walking into their local Microcenter for great deals. We really need one here. BB has no direct competition and doesn't care because of it. Years ago, when Circuit City, and a few others still existed, it was a great place to. After they all closed, things changed for the worse.

Same where I live. When I first moved out here 15 years ago, we had CompUSA, Circuit City, and Best Buy, and a small handful of local shops.

Now we have... Best Buy. They added "Pacific Sales" appliances inside as like a mini-specialty, if you want to buy an overpriced gas range (some places have Magnolia, I would have liked to see that as I did like Magnolia a lot when I lived in WA, but noooo....). I guess I would say OfficeMax/Staples is the closest physical competition, which is pretty sad.

Best Buy isn't evil, but yeah, every time I've walked in looking for something, I usually end up walking back out empty handed (with the security guy staring at me making sure I don't have a 65" TV in my pocket or something), and sigh as I end up ordering what it was I was hoping to get as a quick pickup of something simple off of Newegg or Amazon.

Same where I live. When I first moved out here 15 years ago, we had CompUSA, Circuit City, and Best Buy, and a small handful of local shops.

Now we have... Best Buy. They added "Pacific Sales" appliances inside as like a mini-specialty, if you want to buy an overpriced gas range (some places have Magnolia, I would have liked to see that as I did like Magnolia a lot when I lived in WA, but noooo....). I guess I would say OfficeMax/Staples is the closest physical competition, which is pretty sad.

Best Buy isn't evil, but yeah, every time I've walked in looking for something, I usually end up walking back out empty handed (with the security guy staring at me making sure I don't have a 65" TV in my pocket or something), and sigh as I end up ordering what it was I was hoping to get as a quick pickup of something simple off of Newegg or Amazon.
Same story here. I really wish Micro Center would open a store somewhere in the great state of Florida. Nearest store is in Georgia and is a 9-hour drive away...

Just checked BB online and saw it's only going to be available online. Well, at least I won't have to deal with the stress of going there and being disappointed after they tell me they have them but can't find them.
1600700097554.png

Just checked BB online and saw it's only going to be available online. Well, at least I won't have to deal with the stress of going there and being disappointed after they tell me they have them but can't find them.
View attachment 439
Been hearing that Best Buy are not carrying any Ampere cards in-store for the time being. Might be going into next year before they start carrying them on the shelves. I don't think the bots will be going after these as much as the 3080, though, (at least I hope not...).

Just noticed this while reading a rewiew on Chiphell.

1602036425161.png

I don't know if it'll be included in the U.S. release but evidently, it's made from PCB, and has the coordinates for the ASUS main office on it.

1602036523232.png

Here's also an interesting tidbit I haven't seen mentioned in other reviews so far, " an additional onboard fan interface for retrofitting water cooling or improving the temperature control of the chassis fan". Granted that was from google translate but you don't often hear any mention of water cooling options for Strix x80 x90 cards. That was at the end of their review.

Just noticed this while reading a rewiew on Chiphell.

View attachment 493

I don't know if it'll be included in the U.S. release but evidently, it's made from PCB, and has the coordinates for the ASUS main office on it.

View attachment 494

Here's also an interesting tidbit I haven't seen mentioned in other reviews so far, " an additional onboard fan interface for retrofitting water cooling or improving the temperature control of the chassis fan". Granted that was from google translate but you don't often hear any mention of water cooling options for Strix x80 x90 cards. That was at the end of their review.
As far as I know ASUS have been putting a plate on their ROG video cards with the coordinates of their office for awhile now. First time I've seen a ruler, though. Did they mention what the QR code brings up?

Did they mention what the QR code brings up?
I'll have to look again. I didn't notice any mention of it but that doesn't mean that I didn't miss it. I know that's the kind of swag I'd like. I sort of remember seeing something like this before years ago on [H] somewhere. I just can't remember because it's been so long.

Not sure how this slipped by us but here you go.

Considering the amount of heat these things are supposed to throw off(over 400 watts TGP), probably a good idea.

I'll have to look again. I didn't notice any mention of it but that doesn't mean that I didn't miss it. I know that's the kind of swag I'd like. I sort of remember seeing something like this before years ago on [H] somewhere. I just can't remember because it's been so long.
Used to be the nVidia ruler.

I got lucky a couple of weeks ago and was able to score one. Yes, the ruler/keychain does come with it.

I have to say the best part about this card isn't overclocking it. It's the 1st card I've ever owned I don't feel the need to use max clocks for good performance. I'm playing just about everything using the Asus Tweak silent settings in 4K or 5120x1440 at around 60-120 fps depending on game settings. Mostly keeping things maxed but occassionally dialing one or two things back. All the while enjoying a quiet rig on air. It's awesome!

Become a Patron!
Back